Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

My strange trip to get here

User
Posted 23 Apr 2020 at 10:32

HI All,

So I have taken a strange root to get here, in June 2019 I managed to rip a muscle in my back (very painful) and they thought I had a kidney stone so taken into A&E and had loads of tests including a CT scan.  Everything came back ok and looked just like a muscle issue, however the CT scan showed an enlarged lymph node in my groin.  The rest of the year was spent having more CT scans a few appoints to see that it was getting bigger :(

In December I was booked in for a lymph node biopsy and has happened in January 2020 and came back as cancerous.  A PSA blood test was then done and this came back as a score of 53 so I was booked in for a prostate biopsy.  This happened at the end of March and came back as cancerous and a gleason score of 9. 

I have started the 3 monthly hormone injections two weeks ago and had a bad time last night with hot flushes etc.  Last week I had a PET scan to see if it has spread anywhere else and I am booked in to see two doctors in the next few weeks to discus cemo or radio beam treatment, but that will depend upon the result from the PET scan.

So here I am after a long but odd trip to get here today, the staff at the Churchill hospital in Oxford have been fantastic.  The funny thing with all of this is that I feel fine and not had any symptoms, so I f I had not ripped a muscle in my back last year would I have know that I had prostate cancer?

Hope you are all ok 

Ian 

User
Posted 23 Apr 2020 at 15:04

Hi,

Yes what a journey you have been on to get to the same place as us.

My husband had a strange journey also. Many years ago he had a hernia repair. It started to come back and bother him so last Christmas 2018 he went to the GP who arranged a referral to get it sorted.
An ultrasound, CT scan and PSA test later (about 6 months in all) resulted in Gleason 8 advanced prostate cancer spread to lymph nodes, PSA 289.

No symptoms, thank God for the hernia - I think.

My husband also feels fine, only symptoms have been from HT, chemo and radiotherapy which he is currently on. That's life for you.

You have been wise to join the forum, everyone here is so helpful and friendly. Do come back and let us know your results.

Edited by member 23 Apr 2020 at 15:05  | Reason: Not specified

Mrs MAS

User
Posted 23 Apr 2020 at 22:22

My Husband, also found out he was G9 Metastatic PC by chance, no symptoms, nearly two years ago.

Went to the Drs with a pain he had in his side for a week or two, turned out to be an enlarged lymph node restricting his kidney. Had a stent fitted for about a month, seems ok now . If it wasn't for that we would have never known either.

PSA was 320, got down to 1.5 on chemo, starting to rise slightly, on Bicalutamide but dosnt seem to be working !

Hope you get a good result from your scan

User
Posted 24 Apr 2020 at 08:29

All these stories are, regrettably, entirely typical of this disease. The normal symptoms of prostate cancer are: absolutely none! Many of us here have had our cancer discovered purely by chance. In my own case it was when I visited my GP for something completely unrelated (a muscle sprain) and he said "I see you're over 50, so while you're here we may as well do a PSA test". The next day I got the dreaded "I need to see you urgently" phone call from him, and he told me that my PSA had come back as 31. Subsequent investigations found not only the expected PCa but also an unrelated T3 kidney tumour AND an arterial aneurysm which could have burst at any time and killed me.

Fast forward almost exactly two years and here I am having had my left kidney removed, my aneurysm fixed by being filled with metal coils, and having completed HT and RT, and my PSA, as of a week ago, down to a respectable 1.4. 

Life can be eventful at times!

Best wishes,

Chris

Edited by member 24 Apr 2020 at 08:30  | Reason: Not specified