I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Abiraterone in absence of chemo

User
Posted 30 Apr 2020 at 13:16

Hi. My husband has relapsed disease. Diagnosed 2017 with Gleason 4+4 N1 M0. After RT and decapeptyl for 18 months. PSA 0.04 nadir. Then no tx for 12 months. December PSA up to 24. Hormone tx back on in feb. Since then he has responded to more deca. With PSA at 2 a.month ago. CT showed mediastinal lymph nodes, with large right hilar lymphadenopathy. no obvious bone mets. Was due for chemo early April. However this,was cancelled due to coronavirus. We r aware that abi is not funded for hormone sensitive in England as it is in Scotland. Oncologist is discouraging self payment, but also saying that he will be out of time for up front chemo also when chemo comes available again. I have 3 questions you might help with. 1. Where is the evidence that chemo needs to start within 3 months of hormone tx. I know this was stampede protocol but that's not evidence per se.  2. Would getting abi privately be possible- I am aware of cost and luckily we can pay. How would we go about this. 3. How easy is it to get a second opinion generally? Have people gone this and how did they find the process.  Many thanks. 

User
Posted 30 Apr 2020 at 13:35
The dramatic success of docetaxel in the Stampede trial depended on the man being hormone naive - it wasn't about being castrate dependent or castrate independent. There are years and years of evidence that prostate cancer becomes resistant to docetaxel at some point so if it isn't introduced while the man is still castrate naive it is simply reducing his options later down the line. Also, other trials have shown that a) half of prostate cancers are docetaxel resistant and b) chemo can cause chemical changes in the cancer cells (e.g. cribriform pattern) which make them more resistant to other treatments. That is why, until Stampede, chemo was only used at the end of life stage.

The issue with paying up front for abi is two fold - not only do you have to fund the actual tablets but also all appointments, blood tests and other monitoring tests for the duration and you are unlikely to be able to revert to NHS at a later date. Abi doesn't last very long for many men so funding it for 8-10 months might be achievable but if he is one of the lucky ones, would you be able to fund it for 4 years? I'm not saying don't do it, just things to consider.

A second opinion is usually very easy - you just ask to be referred to a different oncologist for a consultation. How easy it will be during COVID, I don't know.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 03 May 2020 at 20:08

Enzalutamide and Abiraterone have now been approved by NHS England for use instead of chemo as an interim measure during coronavirus.

Interim treatment change options duringthe COVID-19 pandemic, endorsed by NHS England
(See last page)

User
Posted 03 May 2020 at 21:50
Wow - fantastic news!
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard