I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Questions to ask Oncologist during Corona virus

User
Posted 30 Apr 2020 at 18:25

My partner was diagnosed with Advanced prostate cancer in February by the consultant while he was having an ultrasound. We have had no further discussion with him. My partner had been experiencing pain that was diagnosed as sciatica and arthritis. He immediately was put on Morphine liquid and then zomorph. He started on hormone tablets immediatelyi and then  Prostrap injections definitely eased pain. He has had MRI, bone and CT scan then further MRI with spine contast. No biopsy has yet been booked, we assume this is because of Corona virus. We have a telephone consultation with the oncologist next Wednesday. We are new to all of this and still in shock.  What questions should we ask Oncologist.

Edited by member 01 May 2020 at 17:51  | Reason: Missing words

User
Posted 30 Apr 2020 at 23:02

To be flippant, my question would be: ‘When’s my bloody face-to-face appointment?”

We have had the Health Secretary and various medics today pontificating, saying cancer treatment will not be affected by the plague and will carry on as normal. Get on the phone to the Consultant and or their secretary and get a date sorted out.

If you have no success, get in touch with the PALS (complaints department) at the hospital, as that often oils the wheels and gets things in motion.

Best of luck.

Cheers, John.

Edited by member 30 Apr 2020 at 23:04  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 30 Apr 2020 at 23:19
The fact that he has already been put onto hormone treatment and morphine suggests that his cancer is advanced - sometimes, when the cancer can be clearly seen on MRI and bone scans, they don't bother doing the biopsy and it seems you may fall into that group, particularly as his PSA was so high it can't be anything other than prostate cancer.

Questions to ask:-

- how often should he get a PSA test?

- is that to be done at the hospital or GP practice?

- how do we get the result?

- how extensive is the cancer?

- if it is in the spine, what are the signs of spinal cord compression that we should look for and who do we phone if it happens?

- who do we speak to about any general worries / questions / side effects?

Has he been asked to get a PSA test before next week's appointment?

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 01 May 2020 at 07:16
My point Matron was that in his situation, it would be far preferable to be able to ask all the pertinent questions above, direct to the consultant in person (all precautions being observed of course, even ten foot away on the other side of an office), rather than an anonymous telephone consultation.

I bet the consultant would have no objection to that, and that it’s someone ‘back office’ bound by ‘protocol’ rules that’s setting the agenda.

It will be a rather important conversation after all...

Cheers, John.

User
Posted 01 May 2020 at 14:20
What are you wittering about Bollinge ... I didn't say anything to contradict your post!
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 01 May 2020 at 14:21
Ah, you thought I was correcting you because my reply was in third person?

No, I was responding to KeithH who was asking about their partner.

User
Posted 01 May 2020 at 17:54

Thank you for your really useful and valuable reply. It is s real help.

User
Posted 04 May 2020 at 07:58

No requests for PSA test. No contact whatsoever.  My partner won't let me call as he is worried about biopsy and covid. In the twice that his prostate was examined by GP an consultant he has been in terrible pain.

User
Posted 05 May 2020 at 08:08
Something strange there. A DRE shouldn't be painful. Uncomfortable, yes, but not painful.

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 05 May 2020 at 09:09
You don't normally see people put onto oramorph straight after the scan - the tumour might be extensive in the pelvic area or into the bowel or tailbone? Another good reason for them not doing a biopsy perhaps.

KeithH, it is not common for a consultant to actually be present at an ultrasound but they are more likely to have been a radiologist or possibly a urologist than anything else. If the scan showed advanced prostate cancer your husband will have been transferred to an oncologist and that is why you haven't heard anything more from the first doctor.

User
Posted 05 May 2020 at 10:44

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
Something strange there. A DRE shouldn't be painful. Uncomfortable, yes, but not painful.

Best wishes,

Chris

It is if you have hemaroids and or anal fissure. 

Cheers

Bill