I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Optimism is rewarded

User
Posted 30 Apr 2020 at 18:42

I just thought I'd try to add a little optimism in the midst of all the virus chaos. 

There is light at the end of the tunnel! 

2 or 3 years ago, a little voice in my head said, there's something wrong down there! I had absolutely no symptoms, but mentioned it to my GP, expecting him to tell me stop being paranoid. 

He asked me lots of questions, which I answered consistently "no". To my eternal gratitude he said, let's be sure and check your PSA - and there it was! Higher than normal. So waited 3 months and did it again - it had doubled!! 

So off to oncology I went for biopsies, then a choice. All options of do nothing, surgery, or radiotherapy were available. The thought of incontinence was very high on my list, the PSA was doubling every three months, so radiology was my choice. 

He told me I had to have a few months of hormone treatment first, little did I realise how it would affect me with major tiredness. 

The radiotherapy really was nothing, except for two 45 min bus rides each day. 20 times. 

To cut this long story short, following 2 years of consistently low PSAs, I've now been discharged, assumed fully cured๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜

So hang in there, try to be optimistic. 

Thank you to the NHS, particularly my GP, Doncaster Royal Infirmary, and Sheffield's Weston Park!!! 

PS I'm pretty sure I've had the virus, and survived. My guardian angel is on overtime๐Ÿ˜

User
Posted 01 May 2020 at 17:16

"Assumed" is the key word I deliberately used. It's a personal positive state of mind I prefer to adopt, rather than wonder if it might come back. When you are 72, in the middle of a pandemic, having survived a heart attack and the removal of a huge tumour from the middle of my head, I realise there loads of threats around, and I refuse to wonder what might be. I'm much happier coping with what is. 

Cured is the term used by my consultant, so I'm comfortable with assuming he's right๐Ÿ˜

But I take your comments as they are intended, thank you. Don't worry, Its not possible to rain on my parade, because I have a huge umbrella of positivity, which I'll use right up the the time my annual PSA check shows it's going up again. If it does (which it won't) I'll take up the challenge again, but I'm assuming I'll be dead from some other cause by then. ๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜‰

Cheers, I hope your story has a happy ending as well, keep safe. ๐Ÿ‘