I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Non-secreting tumour. Consistently low PSA. Any similar experience?

User
Posted 01 May 2020 at 16:58

The title sums up my cancer.  Since first dx of low risk Gleason 6 PCa Jan '18, and subsequent dx of high risk Gleason 8 Nov '19, it has never been suggested such a cancer should give any more cause for concern than a "normal" one.   My PSA has never risen above 3.2  I was offered the usual treatment options, opting for HT/EBRT.  My "journey" thread gives all the details.

Was due to start EBRT this month, but that is now looking unlikely due to coronavirus.  I thought ok, at least the HT will keep things in check until RT can start.  Then did a little reading and quickly pulled up some alarming stuff concerning non-secreting tumours.  Specifically, clinical evidence suggests they are more aggresive, they do not respond to HT, and the mortality rate is higher.  At this point it's obviously the HT element that is of most concern to me given that I may be relying on that as my sole treatment for the foreseeable future.

I shall be asking my onco about this when I have a phone consultation with her next Wednesday.  But in the meantime I wondered if any others here had had a similar tumour, and if so what treatment they had and how successful it was.

thanks in advance

Stephen

Edited by member 01 May 2020 at 17:18  | Reason: correct spelling

User
Posted 01 May 2020 at 17:48
Assuming no small cell cancer was picked up in your biopsy you would have to be very very unlucky to get a non secreting adenocarcinoma.

Have read a few reports that talk about 2.5 PSA being the top cut off point so you are well over that.

You need to press for RT asap regardless.

User
Posted 01 May 2020 at 18:20
Franci is correct, you don't fall into the non-secreting group with a PSA of 3.2. Non-secreting refers to cases like Si_Ness who was diagnosed with mets all over his skeleton and a PSA of 3.6 or those members here who have small cell cancer or prostate sarcoma.

If you are concerned, you can ask the nurse or doctor to confirm that it is adenocarcinoma but if they had found a non-secreting cancer in your biopsy, I think they would have mentioned it.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 01 May 2020 at 19:20

I've described it as such because in the last update letter sent from my oncologist to my GP she clearly defined it as "a non-secreting tumour".  As for the PSA, 3.2 was quite a peak for me.  For tests during the previous two years (while having PCa) it had been 2 or below.

Maybe the onco shouldn't have described it that way.  I'll take it up with her next week.  However, she did say when I spoke to her two days ago that they couldn't use PSA as an indicator for commencing EBRT in my case.

In the meantime, if anyone that has had experience of dealing with a non-secreting tumour I would still like to hear from them.