Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

ANXIETY OVER HOSPITAL APPOINTMENTS DURING LOCKDOWN

User
Posted 07 May 2020 at 16:34

Hi,

Just wanted to reassure those invited to cancer appointments during the lockdown that are  starting to happen that good safeguards have been put in place to ovoid the coronavirus infections.I attended Guys Cancer hospital for a checkup this morning.At the front door you had to sanatise your hands and put on a supplied facemask.Your temperature was then checked via your ear.All chairs in waiting area were a safe distance apart.The doctor was masked with a plastic face shield.The NHS are doing all they can to keep us and their staff safe.This is likely to be the new normal.I shall be banging my saucepan at 8PM tonight!

Keep Safe

Norm

Edited by member 07 May 2020 at 16:40  | Reason: typos

User
Posted 08 May 2020 at 10:24

Hi Norm - just to echo your message - when the lockdown started I was almost halfway through 10 sessions of Cabazitaxel and concerned from reports in other parts of the country that my treatment might be stopped.  No problems though - the wonderful Norfolk & Norwich Hospital have moved their entire chemo unit to the nearby private Spire Hospital where some cancer surgery is also being performed, so completely off the main hospital site and away from potential coronavirus infection.  I have to attend on my own - my OH can't keep me company any more, given a face mask as I arrive, temperature taken and general health questions then everything as normal.  Can't say I enjoy wearing a mask for a couple of hours but needs must.  One bonus is that car parking is much easier!

Follow-up appointment with Oncologist was by phone so no issues there.  GP Surgery similarly well organised for recent Zoladex injection and pre-chemo blood tests - they are fortunate in having two sites and one is now solely for their shielded and vulnerable patients with appointments well spread out, again face mask provided on arrival.

We have also been very impressed with our local City Council contacting and supporting those of us currently on the shielded list, and thanks to the supermarkets for (eventually) sorting out their priority delivery slots and the army of volunteers who have swung into action.  We clap them all loudly on Thursday evenings.

I am feeling really well at the moment - all bone pain gone - the irony of course is that I can't even go out for a walk, but becoming a devoted follower of Joe Wicks' sessions for older people.

Stay safe.  

Chris