I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Extremely Vulnerable

User
Posted 11 May 2020 at 12:42

My husband had RALP operation at the end of March. On the 29 April we received a phone call from the National Shielding Helpline informing him he had to shield.  Last Thursday he started to received daily text messages from them

Looking at the government list of things that classify you as extremely vulnerable, he doesn’t fit any of these. We are unable to find out why he has been placed in the list. Having spoken to our GP they don’t know either. At the moment he is having no treatment and not on any medicines.

Has anyone else come across this scenario?

Edited by member 11 May 2020 at 15:03  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 11 May 2020 at 17:04

Always be cautious of unsolicited calls and texts.  

The shielding scheme does seem to seem to have been a bit erratic.

Perhaps members who have had dealings with the scheme may have some useful advice.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 11 May 2020 at 18:48
This does sound slightly suspicious. I'm on the register and received a letter from HMG in early April saying I was on the Vulnerable Persons register and another about 2 weeks later asking me to complete an online form. I've not heard of this National Shielding Helpline but have been phoned a couple of times by my local councils social services dept but that is all. I would be wary.

All the best

User
Posted 11 May 2020 at 19:03

We received a government letter and are shielding until the end of June. The local council rang offering help if needed but generally if you have friends and family who can shop for you, you do not qualify for priority supermarket slots etc. Beware of any scam texts saying you have been close to someone who has the virus. 

User
Posted 11 May 2020 at 19:41

From the Government website:-

"If you have been identified as needing shielding you will receive a letter from your GP, hospital or (if identified nationally) from our national helpline. Where we hold a mobile number we will also send you a series of SMS text messages. These will come from either 07307 810357 or UK_Gov. If you are unclear why you have received a letter, please contact your GP or hospital consultant.

You should register yourself on the gov.uk website if you need extra help and support. If you do not register on the website, then you will be contacted by the shielding helpline to confirm that you do not need support. The call will be made from 0333 3050466. It is not a live telephone line, but if you call it you will get the following recorded message: “You were called today by the Shielding Helpline, sorry that we missed you, there is no need to call us back as we will try again soon. Thank you, goodbye”.

I would suggest that if your calls have been from any other number, they are probably scammers.

Edited by member 11 May 2020 at 19:42  | Reason: Not specified

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 11 May 2020 at 22:30

Doesn't sound right to me. I think you get contact from your GP in the 1st instance.

User
Posted 12 May 2020 at 00:50
That's not what the Gov website says - it may come from the GP, hospital or the national helpline 🤷‍♀️
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 12 May 2020 at 09:06
Tony got a text right at the beginning of lockdown and then got a letter from the gov. the texts all came from GOV.UK or NHS coronavirus service, he hasn't had any texts since end of march.

regards Barbara x

User
Posted 12 May 2020 at 10:12
Type the number in plus “scam” into google to see if it gets any hits.
User
Posted 12 May 2020 at 12:33

I had the phone call from the "Helpline". Nice Scottish man who asked questions like " How do you get your groceries?" "Do you need a food parcel?" ( was tempted but said no!) and so on. I have had various texts and a letter, all telling me to do " Shielding" which I have for the last 12 weeks and I am bored and fed up now, so tomorrow I am going out on a drive to a nice place in my motorhome and the doors will stay closed. I will take a picnic and make a cup of coffee etc. If my wife wants to she can come as well :-)

John

PS I should have said I do have several "comorbidities" Asthma, Heart probs, T2 diabetes, and Gout to name a few! I don't know which condition qualifies me but someone must have made a decision?

Edited by member 12 May 2020 at 12:38  | Reason: Not specified

Gleason 6 = 3+3 PSA 8.8 P. volume 48 cc Left Cores 3/3, Volume = 20% PSA 10.8 Feb '19 PSA 1.2

Jan '20 PSA 0.3 July '20 0.1 Jan. 21 < 0.1 Dec 21 <0.01 June '22 <0.01 April '23  <0.01

User
Posted 12 May 2020 at 20:10

Thanks everyone for your input.  We have spoken to our GP, the Macmillian nurses and a doctor in the urology department at our local hospital.  No one seems to know whey he is on the list. .  It was the legitimate help line that first notified us of the change of status.  They couldn't answer why we were being informed 5 weeks after the op when this was something that I asked on leaving the hospital.

There is a benefit.... It means that we can easily get a supermarket slot for delivering the wine order 😀

Take care and stay safe.

User
Posted 12 May 2020 at 20:45

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

There is a benefit.... It means that we can easily get a supermarket slot for delivering the wine order 😀

Take care and stay safe.

Great result, can you see if they have any custard cream biscuits please.

Thanks Chris

Edited by member 12 May 2020 at 20:46  | Reason: Manners