I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Got results today - update

User
Posted 11 May 2020 at 14:07

Husband got TRUS results this morning, acinar adenocarcinoma, G8 (3+5) at worst I expected G7. 5 out of 6 cores on the right were positive, none on left.

Nurse said report didnt say what % were a 5 but she would discuss with pathology. Bone scan in the next week or so and MRI 3-4wks (to let prostate heal after biopsies).

They said prostate not bulging but PNI....could that be the cause of what we assumed to be sciatica? MDT is tomorrow.

13/5 Bone scan reported clear. Feel I can breathe now. MRI awaited.

🌹

Edited by member 13 May 2020 at 20:21  | Reason: Update re bone scan

User
Posted 11 May 2020 at 23:13
Tablets (bicalutimide) block the RECEPTION of testosterone. Injections block the PRODUCTION of testosterone. The net result (and the side-effects) are similar either way. It’s basically down to the preference of your oncologist. Mine preferred bicalutimide, which I was on for 6 months prior to RT and a year after it.

If it’s only short term while awaiting surgery I’d guess they’d be more likely to go for bicalutimide than injections. It’s flushed from the body much more rapidly when you stop taking it.

Best of luck for your treatment,

Chris

User
Posted 12 May 2020 at 00:58
Don't read too far ahead of where you are, Lexi. If his bone scan is clear the MDT would probably wait for the MRI to be done before making any recommendations about treatment options. If at that point they are recommending surgery they might suggest hormones if the op is going to be a wee while due to COVID. If he has the option of radiotherapy and / or brachytherapy they will probably wait until you have seen an oncologist before starting anything.

If the bone scan is not clear (which is what I think you are most worried about tonight) then yes, they will suggest that he goes on HT but that is likely to be tablets for a couple of weeks and then start the injections. In that situation, where someone is starting on the injections, the tablets are to stop what is called tumour flare.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 14 May 2020 at 07:37

Great to hear 👍

User
Posted 14 May 2020 at 10:35

Great news about bone scan, afford yourself some time to chill out a bit now and gather your strength. 

Carl

User
Posted 14 May 2020 at 13:48

Fantastic news Lexi.

Very best wishes

Angex

User
Posted 14 May 2020 at 14:16
Brilliant
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 14 May 2020 at 18:44

Great news that the bone scan is clear.

Ido4

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 11 May 2020 at 15:58
PNI wouldn't cause sciatica type symptoms - the PNI will be either inside or just outside the prostate.

Fingers crossed for you that the bone scan appointment comes through quickly - this is the worst bit, waiting for all the diagnostics to be completed.

User
Posted 11 May 2020 at 17:05

Thanks Lyn, he got a cancellation for bone scan tomorrow.

User
Posted 11 May 2020 at 21:37

Can anyone advise on hormone treatment during CV 19 while awaiting surgery please? Does tablet form work the same way as injection? Is one better than the other?

Thanks 🌹

User
Posted 11 May 2020 at 23:13
Tablets (bicalutimide) block the RECEPTION of testosterone. Injections block the PRODUCTION of testosterone. The net result (and the side-effects) are similar either way. It’s basically down to the preference of your oncologist. Mine preferred bicalutimide, which I was on for 6 months prior to RT and a year after it.

If it’s only short term while awaiting surgery I’d guess they’d be more likely to go for bicalutimide than injections. It’s flushed from the body much more rapidly when you stop taking it.

Best of luck for your treatment,

Chris

User
Posted 12 May 2020 at 00:58
Don't read too far ahead of where you are, Lexi. If his bone scan is clear the MDT would probably wait for the MRI to be done before making any recommendations about treatment options. If at that point they are recommending surgery they might suggest hormones if the op is going to be a wee while due to COVID. If he has the option of radiotherapy and / or brachytherapy they will probably wait until you have seen an oncologist before starting anything.

If the bone scan is not clear (which is what I think you are most worried about tonight) then yes, they will suggest that he goes on HT but that is likely to be tablets for a couple of weeks and then start the injections. In that situation, where someone is starting on the injections, the tablets are to stop what is called tumour flare.

User
Posted 14 May 2020 at 05:42
Bone scan clear, the relief is immense. Thank you for your replies which help so much.

🌹

User
Posted 14 May 2020 at 07:37

Great to hear 👍

User
Posted 14 May 2020 at 10:35

Great news about bone scan, afford yourself some time to chill out a bit now and gather your strength. 

Carl

User
Posted 14 May 2020 at 13:48

Fantastic news Lexi.

Very best wishes

Angex

User
Posted 14 May 2020 at 14:16
Brilliant

User
Posted 14 May 2020 at 18:44

Great news that the bone scan is clear.

Ido4