I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Flare-up

User
Posted 13 May 2020 at 11:53

My OH was diagnosed in May 2018 with Adv Pros Ca after months of lower back pain PSA was 3172 and he was in Spinal Cord Compression. He had initial chemical castration then RT followed by Docetaxal. Has been on Zoladex ever since with 6 monthly check ups. PSA reduced as far as 4.6 but 2 months ago rose to 18 so saw Consultant and Bicalutamide was added in 

Had bloods done on Monday, PSA risen again to 22. Have a telephone consultation on Friday with Consultant (who had mentioned Abiraterone/Enzalutamide). Just so worried for my husband. Gutted 😢

User
Posted 13 May 2020 at 13:43
Okay, the addition of bicalutimide was in the hope that the Zoladex just needed a bit of help - if the PSA has continued to rise, it sounds like the cancer has become hormone independent (in other words it has learnt to survive without testosterone - this is also sometimes referred to as being castrate resistant). The onco may just suggest stopping bical for a while which sometimes drops the PSA down - called an anti-androgen withdrawal response - or s/he may prescribe abi or enza. Both can have quite dramatic results and although on average these work for a couple of years we do have members here who have been successfully on abi or enza for 5 years. The onco might also suggest another round of docetaxel; it depends how well your husband tolerated it last time.

Don't panic, there are still lots of things to try.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 13 May 2020 at 13:47

Thank you so much for that.

My husband had CT and Bone Scan last week and we’ll be getting the results of those too. We’re really scared. 

User
Posted 13 May 2020 at 16:29

So sorry to hear about your husband’s diagnosis Judy.  Fingers crossed for CT/bone scan results.

Thinking of you both at this very anxious time.

Angex

User
Posted 13 May 2020 at 17:12

Thank you x

User
Posted 14 May 2020 at 09:13

Hi Judy, 

I hope your husbands telephone appointment is a positive one tomorrow. Waiting for the results and appointments is hard, as you will already know, but once you have them, and a plan is in place I hope you will feel better. 

As Lyn says, there are still things to be done. Let us know how it goes. 

Best wishes to you both

Mrs MAS

User
Posted 14 May 2020 at 09:42

Thank you Mrs MAS. I will post. 

User
Posted 24 May 2020 at 19:35

Hi Judy,

How did your husbands phone appointment with the oncologist go? 

Edited by member 24 May 2020 at 19:41  | Reason: Not specified

Mrs MAS

User
Posted 24 May 2020 at 20:43

My oh was on arberatitone for almost two years and did very well on it until it saw a rise in psa again. There were few side effects apart from having to make sure blood pressure didn't rise and monthly check ups. Other patients were on it for much longer.

User
Posted 24 May 2020 at 21:21

I’m so sorry I didn’t update you.

It couldn’t have gone better!! We forgot he’d had bloods done at his last appointment on the day of lockdown so the subsequent one he had that we thought had risen, had in fact fallen with the addition of Bicalutamide. His CT and Bone Scans showed no lymph or organ infiltration since his last scans on diagnosis in May 2018.  We are so thankful. 
We talked through him perhaps going on to the PEACE Trial in the future, but currently, no change in treatment. 
Thank you so much for thinking of us xx

User
Posted 24 May 2020 at 23:30

Great news Judy. x

User
Posted 24 May 2020 at 23:35

Great!!

User
Posted 25 May 2020 at 19:49

Hi Judy,

Wonderful news, so he is staying on HT and the additional bicalutamide?

Pleased for you both. 

Mrs MAS

User
Posted 25 May 2020 at 20:32

Yes, that’s right. Thanks so much for your support. 

User
Posted 05 Jun 2020 at 13:39

Hi Judy, my husband was diagnosed with advanced PC in September 2019. It has spread to the bones and a spot in the lungs. I was devastated and in complete shock. He was put on Abiraterone immediately with monthly hormone injections. He is now absolutely living life to the full with minimal side effects and if it wasn’t for COVID, we would be currently travelling. Don’t give up. Read loads and stay informed. Enjoy the moment and make memories. 

User
Posted 05 Jun 2020 at 17:37

Thank you so much for your supportive message Star Crossed. We really appreciate it x