Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Very anxious 42 y.o

User
Posted 16 May 2020 at 18:39

Hello,

I am 42 years old of South East Asian ethnicity, for the past few years I've been experiencing mild symptoms of needing to go toilet frequently and I go to toilet 2-3 times at night, I also experiencing mild dribbling. However, around 2 weeks ago, the symptom suddenly got more severe, after an sexual intercourse, I felt want to go to toilet, but didn't urinate much, and few minutes later feel the urge again, this keep going and really make me suffer a lot. This symptoms stayed until today, although probably slightly better in the past 3 days. I went to GP and got urine and blood test, urine was clear, blood including CRP and WCC are normal, however my PSA is slightly high for my age (1.62). My GP thought it's might be BPH. But he didn't examined me due to covid, so no DRE was done.  I had DRE done around 2 years ago because blood in my underwear. Which the GP said it was normal

My father died because of high grade prostate cancer at 64, he was diagnosed at 62 with metasized cancer.

I was refferred to urologist and had a video consultation, he arranged urineflow test (but no date yet) and he said I need to keep an eye on my psa closely on annual basis. I am now very worry and extremely anxious regarding my symptoms. Especially with COVID delaying everything.

Should I be worried? or I am over anxious for nothing?

Regards,

Renzo

User
Posted 17 May 2020 at 00:40

Hi Renzo, 

42 seems young to get prostate cancer, but I think it is young to get BHP. Your symptoms are near identical to mine, and that lead to me being diagnosed with cancer at 53. It seems PC is very rare in young people but can be aggressive.

You shouldn't be too worried psa is not very high, but I don't think I would want to wait a year for another psa test.

Cancer referrals are down because of covid. On the TV doctors keep saying the NHS is not closed; so I think you should ask for a DRE at the earliest opportunity. If covid were not here I'm sure that is the level of service you would have had. 

Dave

User
Posted 17 May 2020 at 06:47

Renzo,

You could try asking your GP for 2 week cancer referral - that would speed things up, although not necessarily within 2 weeks at the moment. Do make sure you mention your family history, father died young with aggressive prostate cancer.

User
Posted 17 May 2020 at 07:33
A PSA result of 1.62 is not ‘slightly high’ for a 42 year old, but in any event, you should have regular (three-monthly to start with) subsequent PSA tests in view of your familial history of prostate cancer.

In the meantime, with your other ‘waterworks’ problems I would be asking to be referred to a urologist who could do a whole set of tests on you if necessary, to put your mind at rest.

Are you in Britain?

Best of luck.

Cheers, John.

User
Posted 17 May 2020 at 10:20
Guys, read the post. No point advising Renzo to ask for a referral to urology ... GP's done that, referral made, video appointment done, urologist is arranging flow test.

Renzo, everyone gets anxious waiting for the tests to be done. If you don't hear anything soon, chase up with the urologist's secretary or the urology department at the hospital.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 19 May 2020 at 11:27
Hi Renzo

I had BPH symptoms from about 36, started to get really bad in my 40s but GP was always diagnosing a urinary infection as I was too young to have BPH. In the end I had an Ultrasound that showed an enlarged prostate, from that I had various tests that finished with green laser surgery at 44 which solved the urinary retention and urge incontinence issues.

So the symptoms don't have to be prostate cancer.

Regards

M

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 17 May 2020 at 00:40

Hi Renzo, 

42 seems young to get prostate cancer, but I think it is young to get BHP. Your symptoms are near identical to mine, and that lead to me being diagnosed with cancer at 53. It seems PC is very rare in young people but can be aggressive.

You shouldn't be too worried psa is not very high, but I don't think I would want to wait a year for another psa test.

Cancer referrals are down because of covid. On the TV doctors keep saying the NHS is not closed; so I think you should ask for a DRE at the earliest opportunity. If covid were not here I'm sure that is the level of service you would have had. 

Dave

User
Posted 17 May 2020 at 06:47

Renzo,

You could try asking your GP for 2 week cancer referral - that would speed things up, although not necessarily within 2 weeks at the moment. Do make sure you mention your family history, father died young with aggressive prostate cancer.

User
Posted 17 May 2020 at 07:33
A PSA result of 1.62 is not ‘slightly high’ for a 42 year old, but in any event, you should have regular (three-monthly to start with) subsequent PSA tests in view of your familial history of prostate cancer.

In the meantime, with your other ‘waterworks’ problems I would be asking to be referred to a urologist who could do a whole set of tests on you if necessary, to put your mind at rest.

Are you in Britain?

Best of luck.

Cheers, John.

User
Posted 17 May 2020 at 08:14

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Are you in Britain?

Best of luck.

Cheers, John.

Thanks John

Yes, I am in the UK.

User
Posted 17 May 2020 at 10:20
Guys, read the post. No point advising Renzo to ask for a referral to urology ... GP's done that, referral made, video appointment done, urologist is arranging flow test.

Renzo, everyone gets anxious waiting for the tests to be done. If you don't hear anything soon, chase up with the urologist's secretary or the urology department at the hospital.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 19 May 2020 at 11:27
Hi Renzo

I had BPH symptoms from about 36, started to get really bad in my 40s but GP was always diagnosing a urinary infection as I was too young to have BPH. In the end I had an Ultrasound that showed an enlarged prostate, from that I had various tests that finished with green laser surgery at 44 which solved the urinary retention and urge incontinence issues.

So the symptoms don't have to be prostate cancer.

Regards

M

User
Posted 08 Jul 2020 at 04:31

Let us know how you get on Renzo, I’m the same as you with dad diagnosed at 62 and already having metastatic PCa and passing at 64. I’ve had issues with peeing at night and other similar associated pains and problems. Seen urologists and had DRE and PSAs since 40 and always told I have nothing to worry about but I’ve thought about having an ultrasound again or an MRI as so many on here say they should of had this sooner even though we are relatively young.

good luck