I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

First Chemo today

User
Posted 19 May 2020 at 20:51

Just thought I'd share my first chemo experience today as I'm not yet able to thank anyone by private message yet.

I was eventually diagnosed with Advanced Prostate Cancer in February this year and immediately put on Degarelix injections in my abdomen for the first month. I was in a lot of pain in hips and lower back from bone mets but one week in and they were reduced by 50%+.  I was then given Prostap 3 injection in my upper arm by GP after one month. Successively my pain has dropped to niggly though I still have a problem walking for more than an hour.

My PSA at diagnosis was 117 which dropped to 5.6 by early April. I was due to have my chemo shortly after but believe I caught Covid 19 and a three week wipe out put it back to today. 

I'm on Docetaxel chemo with Dexamethasone steroids around the treatment date. The steroids change on Thursday. They advised me to try the cold cap which I did. Uncomfortable to wear and takes extra time on top of treatment but why not I've got the hair and the time!

My experience today was of being totally cared about and comfortable and as with the Hormone treatment I'm really only getting hot flushes (more often), tearful sometimes and occasional tiredness. I'm feeling pretty much ok right now so hopefully that lasts for the next 3 weeks until No.2 treatment.The upside was hearing that my PSA had dropped again this week to 3.88. Early days I know and expect some future pitfalls in the future but I'll just deal with what's in front of me. Best wishes to all x

User
Posted 19 May 2020 at 23:39
Glad it all went well for you, I had a torrid time from my first chemo back in October 2018 so my Onco reduced the dose by 25% and it was tolerable after that.

Good luck with the other 5 sessions.

User
Posted 20 May 2020 at 00:16

Hi,

Pleased to hear your first chemo went well.  My husband Keith had his sixth session of Docetaxel about 8 weeks ago.  He was also started on Hormone Therapy prior to chemo.  He tolerated treatment quite well, just a few hiccups along the way, the Oncology staff were wonderful.  Cold cap worn and has kept full head of hair.  He has suffered with fatigue, hot flushes and has been quite emotional at times too. The chemo has affected his fingernails, very painful at times, especially if he knocks them.  They appear to have lifted from skin halfway up but is improving as his nails grow.    He had a  CT scan on 6th May and we are anxiously awaiting results.

Hope the remainder of your sessions go well.

With very best wishes,

Ange