Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

2nd PSA rise

User
Posted 28 May 2020 at 09:54

Hi all

My OH has had his latest PSA results this morning and they are 0.5.

It had been 0.1 for the last 2.5 years post treatment and in February this year we had our first rise to 0.2. Since February it has now risen to 0.5 so it has more than doubled in 3 months.

Is that a big rise do you think or is this what you would expect to see bearing in mind he still has his prostate and came off HT in January 2019. He had chemo/RT and brachytherapy back in the summer of 2017.

What do you all think. Is this rise to be expected. Should I be worried at this stage and is this a big rise? 

Our consultant has told us to contact him again if and when the PSA hits 1.0 so we are not there yet but I would be grateful for your views.

Debbie

Debbie xxx
User
Posted 28 May 2020 at 10:41

Hi Debbie,

It looks like the last 3-monthly hormone injection was 14/1/19, so that will run out approx April 2019. Testosterone can start appearing at that point, but might take up to 18 months, and you're well within that when PSA starts rising. You expect PSA to rise when your testosterone comes back, because you still have a prostate, and the non-cancerous parts will survive and switch back on (including making PSA, one of the prostate's main jobs) in the presence of testosterone. So I would say what you're seeing is fully expected, as you suggest. Does the increase in PSA also correspond with a period when he noticed reversal of any HT side effects, such as regrowth of body hair or any others?

User
Posted 28 May 2020 at 11:20

Hi Andy

Thank you so much fo your reply. 

Not really no. His body hair came back almost immediately after HT finished and has been back for some time and he has been really well otherwise. No worrying symptoms at all so this rise in PSA has come totally out of the blue xx

Debbie xxx
User
Posted 28 May 2020 at 14:28
Hard I know but don't worry, it is normal for PSA to rise after RT/HT as long as it doesn't go over 2.0
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 28 May 2020 at 15:06

Thanks Lynne, we’ll just have to watch and wait. Debbie 

Debbie xxx