Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

PSA Rise After Back Surgery

User
Posted 29 May 2020 at 01:38

Hi

Very worried as my husband has been on Decapeptyl 6 monthly injections for the last 8 years. This took his PSA levels down from 18 to 0.01. These have remained stable throughout 8 years.

However, last September my husband underwent major back surgery. One week after the op his PSA rose to 1.0.  The Urologist was not worried about this.   However another 6 months has gone by, and his PSA is now 2.60. 

The Urologist is now suggesting he adds a further treatment, but my question is, could the op have made the a PSA level rise or is this just coincidence?

User
Posted 29 May 2020 at 06:53

Grasscutters,

You haven't really given enough detail to even guess an answer your question, such as where the mets are and what the back surgery was. It would in any case be a guess at the very best.

However, it's generally not useful to answer "what ifs?", we've all got plenty of those. You need to look forward from here, not from some point in the past.

The Decapeptyl has worked for a long time and that's excellent, but it wasn't expected to work by itself forever. The next stage might be to add bicalutamde, or they might skip that and go directly for Abiraterone or Enzalutamide. There are still more tools in the cupboard.

Edited by member 29 May 2020 at 06:57  | Reason: Not specified