I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

6 monthly psa test

User
Posted 31 May 2020 at 13:08

hi,i am due to go to the hospital next friday ,for my 6 monthly psa test,will it be safe to go,because there is allways a queue,any help please.

User
Posted 31 May 2020 at 14:20

If it’s the blood test would you be able to get it done at your GP’s surgery?

i had my latest one done at the surgery and they arranged appointments well spaced out so there was no contact with others attending.

User
Posted 31 May 2020 at 14:46

Radar 

With alot of hospital clinics being cancelled there may not be a queue. I am having my blood taken at GP on Tuesday morning, appointments are spaced apart to help avoid meeting other patients.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 31 May 2020 at 14:46
I get mine done by the nurse at my GP’s surgery, too. I’m sure that the hospital will have taken all necessary hygiene and social distancing measures, though. Unless you consider yourself especially vulnerable, I wouldn’t worry about it!

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 31 May 2020 at 15:18
The hospital will have risk assessments in place to protect patients and staff, Radar. It will be fine to go along as usual.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 31 May 2020 at 19:09

I went to Guys two weeks ago and there was no queue. 

User
Posted 01 Jun 2020 at 06:42

As the others have said. There is currently very little foot traffic at the Hospitals.

I use Queens Hospital Burton on Trent . Their blood samples operation has changed from a "walk in" to a pre booked only system.

I was there for a blood sample back on the 15/5 (so my experience is a little old now) there was only one other patient in the department. So it was ultra safe.

If you can get your sample taken by your local community  nurse that would probably be the safest.

Good luck. 

User
Posted 01 Jun 2020 at 18:56

My Hubble had his blood taken at the GP today

Very well organised with a wait  in the car and a text to come in, The phlebotomist had full PPE and had come out of retirement to help apparently. A very efficient lady apparently! 

User
Posted 01 Jun 2020 at 21:01

My blood was taken 4 weeks ago at the height of COVID at Epsom Hospital and had no problems. They were very organised. All went smoothly and out in 30mins.

User
Posted 02 Jun 2020 at 09:57
Mine is always done at the local surgery. The results are with my treatment centre the next day, although I’m only getting phone appointments there at the moment as my jabs are done locally as well.

Dave

User
Posted 02 Jun 2020 at 10:18

I must be very lucky that although my GP surgery (the biggest in Coventry, supposedly) cannot be bothered to take blood tests, my local chemist does instead. I make an appointment on-line, usually the first one at 07.30, and I’m in and out. They have distanced chairs if there is more than one waiting.

Interestingly, the lady behind the chemist’s counter just doling out medicines had full PPE (I always thought that was a degree professional politicians did at Oxbridge), yet the phlebotomist only wore a paper mask and gloves. Anyway, good news, my PSA was undetectable again.

Best of luck with yours, don’t worry, all safety procedures will be in place.

Cheers, John.

Edited by member 02 Jun 2020 at 10:20  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 02 Jun 2020 at 14:03

Great six monthly PSA result John 👍

Ange

User
Posted 03 Jun 2020 at 10:51
hello, i have replied twice regarding psa test and they have not been posted.
User
Posted 03 Jun 2020 at 11:00
hello,my last 2 replies have not been posted,regarding my 6 monthly psa test,they are not doing blood tests at york hospital now,so i have to go to nuffield,cant get appointment at gps,people who have other health issues are suffering more now a lot of people are now scared to go to hospital,not good at the moment.
User
Posted 20 Jul 2020 at 11:06
Still unable to post on PCUK due to everlasting "access denied" issue.

How do fellow posters obtain their blood test results for PSA.

I'm finding it increasingly difficult, our GPs don't get them, or if they do they don't know where to look.

I ring Haematology at my local hospital but I'm reliant on the goodwill of the staff member I speak to whether they supply the information.

I could always wait for my next appointment, however I'm way too impatient and like to prepare myself mentally before seeing my Onco.

What does everything else do? Is there a way I can access my results on line?

User
Posted 20 Jul 2020 at 11:47

I telephone my GP surgery. One of the receptionists read it out and send a printout home.

Ido4

User
Posted 20 Jul 2020 at 11:57

I send my onco nurse a text on the day of my blood test saying I have been tested,  she sends me the result by text the next day. We then have a telephone consultation the next week. 

My GP has just put me into on line access, yet to see how that works.

In our area the GP can only see tests they request, the onco nurse can see blood and urine tests irrespective of who requests them.

I had a PSA test the other day as part of a bowel investigation, my GP said it was normal. I had already told him I had a RARP six years ago and SRT, the result was 0.47.

Thanks Chris

Edited by member 20 Jul 2020 at 12:02  | Reason: Not specified