I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Running post prostatectomy

User
Posted 31 May 2020 at 14:17

I run a lot of marathons and don't want to have to give up after prostatectomy due to incontinence 

I would like to hear from any runners who have had post RP incontinence and continued running. 

User
Posted 07 Jun 2021 at 10:17

Hi Cotswold runner.

Yes was running at 10 weeks.....but walking everyday as soon as I was home from hospital. I really think the walking helps a lot in the rehab

Good luck 

User
Posted 07 Jun 2021 at 12:43
Be really careful in the first few weeks, I overdid the walking because the surgeon said it was ok to "walk round the garden". I live on a sheep farm! A week later I was back in hospital nearly dead from sepsis.

One suggested cause was leakage due to over doing it. It's amazing how much pressure gets applied to the prostate area by your core muscles, don't risk popping anything in the first few weeks..

User
Posted 24 Nov 2023 at 16:57
Thanks for your comments. Had my operation and the catheter was removed 13/11/23. Bladder was uncontrollable for the first three days using four pads per day. I had been doing pelvic floor exercises for around five weeks pre operation and continued post catheter removal. Now down to two pads per twenty four hours. Started walking right after leaving hospital. Hope to resume running in

January 24.

User
Posted 31 Jan 2024 at 11:13

I think the pre operation fitness was important but I do think that the pelvic floor exercises were vital during my current recovery. I intend doing these exercises for the rest of my life. As already mentioned I would suggest that anyone going through incontinence post radical prostatectomy to get the NHS Sqeezy app which costs three pounds to aid in keeping to a pelvic floor exercise plan. 

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 01 Jun 2020 at 06:28

Hoam Bop. I had my RP end of November 2019. I was/am a regular trail runner.

My stress incontinence has reduced to almost nothing. I do/did a lot of the pelvic floor exercises and a range of core strengthening exercises. So I recommend you do these. It definitely improved with time. Best wishes and good luck

The only issue I have is the scarring at the blabber neck needs to be dilated regularly. I've been back three times for dilatation. I return to Hospital tomorrow (02/06/20) for the Foley to be removed.

Stay positive (it definitely helps)

User
Posted 01 Jun 2020 at 07:36
I had my RARP in mid March 2020 (just before lockdown started).

I was a keen triathlete and (based on surgeon's advise) tried to build up fitness before the operation - a bit like peaking for a big event! I also started the PFE's a month or so before hand and continue to do so.

I am fortunate to have been fully dry after the first four or five weeks and have found no issues with easy jogging to date (I did wear a thin pad on the first few runs just in case but was lucky enough to not need them).

User
Posted 03 Jun 2020 at 00:40

Hi

Can I ask your age please 

Iam 60

Thanks 

User
Posted 03 Jun 2020 at 05:25

Aged 57. Still early days regarding op, but so far so good.

User
Posted 03 Jun 2020 at 07:42

I am 57 and 10 weeks post surgery. I am running without any incontinence issues

User
Posted 03 Jun 2020 at 11:24

Although I'm not a serious runner like yourself, I get out and run a couple of times a week now. 

I was dry pretty much when the catheter was removed, and I do my pelvic floor exercises religiously. 

At two months post op I was using a treadmill at my gym so as to be near the toilet (after 10 minutes I was getting the urge to pee). Now at 6 months, I can go for a half hour or hour run without any issues. 

User
Posted 10 Jun 2020 at 15:53

RP done sept 2019. I am now 63. I was running half marathons pre surgery (at Marsden). My surgeon advised me to spend the 6 weeks wait for surgery focusing on my core and kegel strengthening. I probably took this to an extreme ‘training’ twice a day 6 days a week. But I am so glad I did. Based on guidance from doc I started with gradual gentle walking and after 8 week review had a light jog. No leaks no pads. I am now back running with no issues. I am sure my pre surgery efforts set me up for an excellent result.

User
Posted 10 Jun 2020 at 18:15

Top job. That's what i'd describe as a rapid recovery. lets hope for more results like yours.

😀

User
Posted 05 Jun 2021 at 15:40

Hi MikeW,

I'm a keen runner aged 59 and am expecting to need an RP (awaiting biopsy results but the MRI had the consultant pretty convinced it was PCa). Was 10 weeks when you re-started running? 

User
Posted 07 Jun 2021 at 10:17

Hi Cotswold runner.

Yes was running at 10 weeks.....but walking everyday as soon as I was home from hospital. I really think the walking helps a lot in the rehab

Good luck 

User
Posted 07 Jun 2021 at 12:43
Be really careful in the first few weeks, I overdid the walking because the surgeon said it was ok to "walk round the garden". I live on a sheep farm! A week later I was back in hospital nearly dead from sepsis.

One suggested cause was leakage due to over doing it. It's amazing how much pressure gets applied to the prostate area by your core muscles, don't risk popping anything in the first few weeks..

User
Posted 07 Jun 2021 at 20:36
Also be aware that men who have had keyhole RP (LARP or robotic LARP) are at higher risk of hernia post-op, and those who do get a hernia have often done too much too soon.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 28 Oct 2023 at 05:40

I’m having a prostatectomy on 01/11/2023. I am 78 and a very active runner. I want to continue running after recovery with the intention of waiting around three months before resuming my training schedule. Any comments would be welcome.

User
Posted 28 Oct 2023 at 12:22
Hi. I'm 70 and I had RALP in 2016. I run very regularly: I've run two half-marathons this month, while last month I ran a marathon and 2 HMs.

I had severe urinary incontinence for about 8 weeks post RALP (which was very disappointing) then it improved almost overnight. For the past several years I have only had to use incontinence pads when hill-walking (steep rocky descents at the end of the day are just too much for my poor remaining sphincter to cope with).

Regarding running, for the first few years I only ran in the morning, before breakfast, when my bladder was empty. This was not a big deal as I love doing that anyhow. But eventually I plucked up the courage to do some evening races and I can cope without leakage on evening 10ks.

Regarding HMs and marathons, these tend to have a morning start anyhow and I try to ensure I start with an empty bladder and take sips as I go along to avoid over hydrating, and I generally get by without continence problems. I certainly would not use a pad for anything other than hill-walking.

Hope this helps. You will soon be able to race in the 80-84 category where the age grades are so much easier

User
Posted 24 Nov 2023 at 16:57
Thanks for your comments. Had my operation and the catheter was removed 13/11/23. Bladder was uncontrollable for the first three days using four pads per day. I had been doing pelvic floor exercises for around five weeks pre operation and continued post catheter removal. Now down to two pads per twenty four hours. Started walking right after leaving hospital. Hope to resume running in

January 24.

User
Posted 10 Dec 2023 at 07:48
Optimisticjo.

I seem to be following your post recovery after RP. It’s 4 weeks since catheter removal and I am still quite severely affected by urinary incontinence. Very frustrated. Did you do much walking after catheter removal. I do two sessions per day of two miles each. I have been doing six pelvic floor sessions per day before and after my surgery.

User
Posted 10 Dec 2023 at 09:30

I'm 10 months post RARP and often have to run to the loo.

User
Posted 09 Jan 2024 at 09:48

I've faced post-RP incontinence but persisted with running. Strategies like Kegels helped me regain control gradually.

Edited by member 09 Jan 2024 at 09:50  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 09 Jan 2024 at 13:03
Doing my pelvic exercise six times per day and walking an average of six miles a day over two walks. It’s now ten weeks post operation and I am not seeing a significant difference in my incontinence level. Very frustrated.
User
Posted 31 Jan 2024 at 07:59

As posted earlier I had my radical prostatectomy on 01/11/2023. I am 78 and have been a serious runner for 40 years. Before and after my operation I have been doing my pelvic floor exercises six times a day with the aid of the NHS squeezy app. From being flooded after my operation I am now almost dry. After my operation I walked twice per day, slowly at first building up to nine miles per day I did my first run yesterday 30/01/2024 and feel great. I am looking to do a half marathon in May.

User
Posted 31 Jan 2024 at 08:17

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
As posted earlier I had my radical prostatectomy on 01/11/2023. I am 78 and have been a serious runner for 40 years. Before and after my operation I have been doing my pelvic floor exercises six times a day with the aid of the NHS squeezy app. From being flooded after my operation I am now almost dry. After my operation I walked twice per day, slowly at first building up to nine miles per day I did my first run yesterday 30/01/2024 and feel great. I am looking to do a half marathon in May

Your recovery is astonishing. Seventy eight years old, incontinence free, and running nine miles, only 3 months after your prostatectomy! You must be Superman's grandad. Well done. I suppose being fit must aid recovery.

I was quite fit, but 3 months after surgery, the only running  I did was dashing to the toilet and I'd invariably peed myself before I got there.

Edited by member 31 Jan 2024 at 09:38  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 31 Jan 2024 at 11:13

I think the pre operation fitness was important but I do think that the pelvic floor exercises were vital during my current recovery. I intend doing these exercises for the rest of my life. As already mentioned I would suggest that anyone going through incontinence post radical prostatectomy to get the NHS Sqeezy app which costs three pounds to aid in keeping to a pelvic floor exercise plan.