I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Psa and cycling

User
Posted 24 Jun 2020 at 14:01

I am 54, 2 years since RP for Gleeson’s 7/4+3 prostate ca. Had follow up psa this week and realized I cycled 2 days before psa test. I know that’s a potential issue if u have a prostate, I don’t. Will the cycling affect my psa result ? So far they haven’t been detectable. 

User
Posted 01 Jul 2020 at 11:36

PSA can be produced in tiny amounts by other organs in the body, including the adrenal glands, the Cowper's gland, etc., so in theory, cycling could raise the PSA by a very small amount even in a man with no prostate but only in the immediate few hours and not two days later. 

Here is my post on another thread a couple of days ago:-

It is a misunderstanding Chris, which has become over-hyped by some.

For men with a prostate who are being closely monitored (for example, on AS trying to pinpoint when to move to radical treatment) it is worth noting that orgasm and rectal stimulation of the prostate can raise the PSA for up to 24 hours and cycling may raise the PSA for up to 4 hours. Even then, the estimate is that orgasm may raise the PSA by 10% and cycling by less than that. So it makes sense, if the trend is crucial, to try to behave in the same way before each test ... have sex or don't have sex, cycle or don't cycle but try to be consistent so that any small changes in PSA aren't misinterpreted.

The jury is out on whether cycling can raise the PSA in a man with a fried prostate but even if it could, would it really matter to you? If your current PSA is 1.0, you cycle this morning and have your PSA test this afternoon and the result is 1.05 could you be absolutely certain that you hadn't done anything before the previous test that could affect the reading?

John tries to be consistent about his behaviour at the time of each test; he cycles regularly, goes to the gym (well, he would do usually), has his blood test early in the morning, etc. If the next PSA is the same as last time, should we worry that it should have been lower because he hasn't been to the gym recently? Do the things that you enjoy and are good for your physical & mental health and at test time, remember that very small variations are not significant whereas a solid upward trend might be.

Edited by member 01 Jul 2020 at 11:40  | Reason: Not specified

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 01 Jul 2020 at 13:46
Quote:
Quote:

So my current thinking is that I shall probably be cycling to my first post-op PSA test appointment in a few weeks 😂

Alex

Are you confident cycling will not do damage to the new joint ?

Thanks Chris

I've been told I can cycle after 6 weeks. This will be after more than 6 weeks. It's half a mile to the GP surgery. I'd say, probably yes. But in any case, after what Lyn said above, I'll probably walk anyway. 😄

_____

Two cannibals named Ectomy and Prost, all alone on a Desert island.

Prost was the strongest, so Prost ate Ectomy.

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 24 Jun 2020 at 15:13

I would say not, if you don't have a prostate.

User
Posted 01 Jul 2020 at 10:32

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

I am 54, 2 years since RP for Gleeson’s 7/4+3 prostate ca. Had follow up psa this week and realized I cycled 2 days before psa test. I know that’s a potential issue if u have a prostate, I don’t. Will the cycling affect my psa result ? So far they haven’t been detectable. 

From what I understand of it, it's only the prostate cells and prostate cancer cells that produce PSA. Cycling stimulates the prostate (and presumably any cancer cells within it), as does DRE or having an ejaculation, causing more PSA production.

So if you have no prostate and hopefully no cancer cells to be stimulated, then cycling shouldn't make any difference whatsoever. I've recently been thinking about this myself and come to that conclusion.

So my current thinking is that I shall probably be cycling to my first post-op PSA test appointment in a few weeks 😂

_____

User
Posted 01 Jul 2020 at 11:36

PSA can be produced in tiny amounts by other organs in the body, including the adrenal glands, the Cowper's gland, etc., so in theory, cycling could raise the PSA by a very small amount even in a man with no prostate but only in the immediate few hours and not two days later. 

Here is my post on another thread a couple of days ago:-

It is a misunderstanding Chris, which has become over-hyped by some.

For men with a prostate who are being closely monitored (for example, on AS trying to pinpoint when to move to radical treatment) it is worth noting that orgasm and rectal stimulation of the prostate can raise the PSA for up to 24 hours and cycling may raise the PSA for up to 4 hours. Even then, the estimate is that orgasm may raise the PSA by 10% and cycling by less than that. So it makes sense, if the trend is crucial, to try to behave in the same way before each test ... have sex or don't have sex, cycle or don't cycle but try to be consistent so that any small changes in PSA aren't misinterpreted.

The jury is out on whether cycling can raise the PSA in a man with a fried prostate but even if it could, would it really matter to you? If your current PSA is 1.0, you cycle this morning and have your PSA test this afternoon and the result is 1.05 could you be absolutely certain that you hadn't done anything before the previous test that could affect the reading?

John tries to be consistent about his behaviour at the time of each test; he cycles regularly, goes to the gym (well, he would do usually), has his blood test early in the morning, etc. If the next PSA is the same as last time, should we worry that it should have been lower because he hasn't been to the gym recently? Do the things that you enjoy and are good for your physical & mental health and at test time, remember that very small variations are not significant whereas a solid upward trend might be.

Edited by member 01 Jul 2020 at 11:40  | Reason: Not specified

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 01 Jul 2020 at 11:51

Very useful. Good to know that. Thanks Lyn. 😄

_____

User
Posted 01 Jul 2020 at 12:21
Quote:
Quote:

Alex

Thanks Chris

Edited by member 01 Jul 2020 at 12:59  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 01 Jul 2020 at 13:46
Quote:
Quote:

Alex

Thanks Chris

I've been told I can cycle after 6 weeks. This will be after more than 6 weeks. It's half a mile to the GP surgery. I'd say, probably yes. But in any case, after what Lyn said above, I'll probably walk anyway. 😄

_____

User
Posted 01 Jul 2020 at 16:30
Walking is quite dangerous - particularly if you live on a bus route 😂

User
Posted 01 Jul 2020 at 16:56

Walking is quite dangerous - particularly if you live on a bus route 😂

😂😂I'll make sure to wear clean underwear. (Never did quite get why people think that matters if you get hit by a bus. You'd probably crap yourself anyway. 😂)

_____