Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Combat Cancer Charity - query

User
Posted 08 Jul 2020 at 09:58

Morning all,

I've had a label through my door from a charity, Combat Cancer., for a clothing collection.  Also on the leaflet it asks for anything re-useable.  They say they support children's cancer research centres, but have just started a campaign to support PCa research.  There are spelling/grammar errors on the leaflet and on their website, but this may be an oversight.

Does anyone know of them, should I donate via them? 

Dave

All we can do - is do all that we can.

So, do all you can to help yourself, then make the best of your time. :-)

I am the statistic.

User
Posted 08 Jul 2020 at 12:12

Yes they are a real but very small charity - bizarrely, they quote the government COVID guidance for schools on their website so perhaps well meaning and motivated but not highly academic people. They address the leaflet typos on their home page.

https://combatcancercharity.org/news-and-events

They are also registered with the Charity Commission

https://beta.charitycommission.gov.uk/charity-details/?regid=1178293&subid=0

Edited by moderator 19 Oct 2023 at 15:39  | Reason: Not specified

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 08 Jul 2020 at 15:11
There are so many '\charities' now collecting clothes for various causes, some shall we say more dedicated than others. It would be interesting to know the percentage of resultant money that actually goes to the cause compared to what other costs are.
Barry
User
Posted 08 Jul 2020 at 16:03

Hi, and thank you both for the input.

And thanks for the links Lyn.  I've read the website data for CC and for Giving Support Ltd.  I think I'll give to a local charity.

You all take care.

dave 

I am the statistic.

User
Posted 08 Jul 2020 at 16:38

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
There are so many '\charities' now collecting clothes for various causes, some shall we say more dedicated than others. It would be interesting to know the percentage of resultant money that actually goes to the cause compared to what other costs are.

Next to nothing goes to the charities. The clothes are mostly sold for profit in Eastern Europe.

That's still better than throwing them away, but I would forget about the charity aspect.

User
Posted 08 Jul 2020 at 18:12

You may be right Andy.

I'll give locally.  

dave

I am the statistic.