I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

PSA increases

User
Posted 13 Jul 2020 at 15:07

I was diagnosed in 2017 at 59 years old with stage 4 Gleason 9 disease with bone mets, plus a lung met, and my PSA was only 11 at diagnosis. This gradually dropped to a nadir of 0.15 in October 2019, but since then, it's been three successive increases - 0.16 in November, 0.19 in January and now 0.32 in July.

I had a 6 monthly Oncology appointment by telephone today, and she was happy with this low psa of 0.32. 

It was an average of 0.175 throughout last year. She said that moving onto Bicalutamide is only when above 2, but maybe 1 in my case. 
I asked her about the "20% increase over two successive tests of at least a week apart" etc. types of criteria, but she just said it would have to be over 1, and there's no benefit in taking Bicalutamide earlier.

So this doc seemed happy enough, she will test again in three or six months, but we are a bit confused by these increases which seem significant percentagewise, and so I would appreciate any thoughts please.

Thank you all very much.

Michael

User
Posted 13 Jul 2020 at 23:43
The increase in PSA suggests that either the Prostap or Zoladex (whichever you are on) is becoming less effective or the cancer is learning to survive without testosterone. The problem is that the next step - adding bicalutimide - is a temporary measure so the onco will not want to introduce it too early. Some oncos will bring the bical in at PSA of 2, as yours has suggested while others will wait until it gets to 10 or when the doubling time is less than 6 months. At the minute, your doubling time is slower than that so the onco will watch your PSA trends and try to intervene at just the right moment.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard