Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

New mets in ribs and shoulder

User
Posted 17 Jul 2020 at 22:53

Hi

My husband is to have radiotherapy for the above. Would others with mets in these bones please let me know if it helped and how long for?

User
Posted 18 Jul 2020 at 09:29
RT to bone mets doesn't really treat the cancer - it is intended to stabilise the weakened bone and reduce pain.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 18 Jul 2020 at 09:43

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
RT to bone mets doesn't really treat the cancer - it is intended to stabilise the weakened bone and reduce pain.

I think there can be different objectives. Where I was treated, they will do cyberknife with curative intent providing you have no more than 3 small bone mets (and it will depend where they are too). I don't think it's wonderfully successful because once bone mets start (and more so if you have multiple), you probably have more undetectable micro-mets too, but they seem willing to give it a go in suitable cases.

User
Posted 18 Jul 2020 at 10:13

Hi

i had SABR to 2 spots in my pelvis and one for my rib which were all successful. The only warning is that the one to the rib makes it liable many months later to fracture which happened to me, but that is not to say it happens to everyone.

All the best

Roy

User
Posted 18 Jul 2020 at 10:44

That's good information Andy and Roy.   Some hospitals are more optimistic than others.  If you can get extra months of wellness it brings hope and there is potential for other treatment to come over the horizon.  Barry is a great example of someone going the extra miles for new treatments.

Edited by member 18 Jul 2020 at 10:46  | Reason: Not specified