Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Abiterone or Enzelutimide?

User
Posted 26 Jul 2020 at 10:30

Hi,

Im am a 57 year old male from Birmingham, West Midlands. I was diagnosed with advanced Mestatic prostate cancer in December 2018. I also have chronic kidney disease

I am now taking abiterone acetate tablets and Prednisolone for just over two months. My PSA was 80 when I first started taking this medication and my latest recent  reading is 160.

I am thinking of contacting my oncologist to find out if I should choose another medication? I would appreciate any advice.

Thanks

User
Posted 26 Jul 2020 at 13:49

Hi,

I think (but not 100% certain) the NHS rules are that you can only change from one to the other in the first 3 months, and also that you can only change if you are getting unacceptable side effects, not because the drug isn't working.

However, I suggest you get on to your oncologist quickly, because the 3 month limit doesn't give you much time, if your oncologist is willing to change drugs.

Good luck.

User
Posted 26 Jul 2020 at 14:17
I agree - waste no time contacting the onco. Although all the research indicates that if abi fails then enza will also fail, we have had a couple of men here who were able to swap within the 3 months and then did very well for a sustained period.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 26 Jul 2020 at 14:39

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
Although all the research indicates that if abi fails then enza will also fail

I know this is the stated reason, but I do find it hard to believe, as the two drugs have substantially different methods of working, Enzalutamide being an anti-androgen, and Abiraterone being an inhibitor of dihydrotestosterone synthesis from adrenal steroids (and also an anti-androgen but not the main effect). Is there really research which suggests this?

User
Posted 26 Jul 2020 at 18:25

Many thanks Andy,

I will contact my oncologist asap. 

User
Posted 26 Jul 2020 at 18:47

Some patients do respond to enzalutamide for a limited time after progressing on abiraterone:

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/28844372/

however another more recent trial showed that cabazitaxel produces better results in this situation. 

User
Posted 27 Jul 2020 at 09:11

So glad you posted here, hope that your call with the onco has a positive outcome.

Dream like you have forever, live like you only have today Avatar is me doing the 600 mile Camino de Santiago May 2019

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 26 Jul 2020 at 13:49

Hi,

I think (but not 100% certain) the NHS rules are that you can only change from one to the other in the first 3 months, and also that you can only change if you are getting unacceptable side effects, not because the drug isn't working.

However, I suggest you get on to your oncologist quickly, because the 3 month limit doesn't give you much time, if your oncologist is willing to change drugs.

Good luck.

User
Posted 26 Jul 2020 at 14:17
I agree - waste no time contacting the onco. Although all the research indicates that if abi fails then enza will also fail, we have had a couple of men here who were able to swap within the 3 months and then did very well for a sustained period.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 26 Jul 2020 at 14:39

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
Although all the research indicates that if abi fails then enza will also fail

I know this is the stated reason, but I do find it hard to believe, as the two drugs have substantially different methods of working, Enzalutamide being an anti-androgen, and Abiraterone being an inhibitor of dihydrotestosterone synthesis from adrenal steroids (and also an anti-androgen but not the main effect). Is there really research which suggests this?

User
Posted 26 Jul 2020 at 17:07
Yes, we had members here who were part of the trials. There are members who have self funded enza after abi but all 3 are now gone.

User
Posted 26 Jul 2020 at 18:25

Many thanks Andy,

I will contact my oncologist asap. 

User
Posted 26 Jul 2020 at 18:27

Thank you Lynn,

I will contact my onco asap 👍

User
Posted 26 Jul 2020 at 18:47

Some patients do respond to enzalutamide for a limited time after progressing on abiraterone:

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/28844372/

however another more recent trial showed that cabazitaxel produces better results in this situation. 

User
Posted 27 Jul 2020 at 09:11

So glad you posted here, hope that your call with the onco has a positive outcome.

Dream like you have forever, live like you only have today Avatar is me doing the 600 mile Camino de Santiago May 2019

User
Posted 31 Jul 2020 at 18:20

Thanks for introducing me to this stellar forum....I have learned a lot already about my situation...👍