I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

incontinence issue post RP op

User
Posted 31 Jul 2020 at 15:45

I had my RP on 15th July and have just had my catheter removed on Wednesday this week. I knew that there would be some leakage following this but have been surprised by the extent I am experiencing. After 2 days I am wearing pads 24 hours and seem to have little or no control over my flow. However I think there may be a very slight improvement today but negligible.

I understand that this problem will vary from person to person but it is an area that has caused me the most worry and anxiety. Probably I am being unrealistic regarding how soon it will sort itself out but any experiences /advice/comments etc would be gratefully received.

I have found other people’s posts very helpful and informative so thanks to everyone who has shared these .

User
Posted 31 Jul 2020 at 17:11

Hi Jackson L

Don't be too concerned. Some are dry from the get go. Others aren't

Just remember its very early days. I was wearing pads 24/7 for at least a couple of weeks. You will most probably find things gradually start to improve. I found after a bit I was dry on a morning then as I tired would lose control. Over time this got later in the day. I think by week 12 I was completely dry.Hope the operation went well

User
Posted 31 Jul 2020 at 18:58
You are expecting far too much of yourself - 50% of men are using one pad or less each day by 6 months post op and 90% of men are using one pad or less each day by 12 months post op. At 2 days post catheter removal, your urethral stitches are still healing and your brain has no idea where your bladder valve is positioned.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 31 Jul 2020 at 19:51

As Matron (Lyn) has said...don’t panic just yet. I was pretty much the same. Ok at night but leaks towards the later part of the day after a really good TWOC. That pipe causes irritation plus the stitches around the reconstructed bladder valve in the pelvic floor is held slightly open with the tension of the stitches in some case (including me). Resolved for me week 6 when the stitches started to melt. Plus after this there is healing and scar tissue to consider. There will be stress leaks but it gets better. Six months is when things starts to soften in terms of scar tissue but can take up to 18 months or so to settle properly. Sounds like you are making great progress but please should if any concerns as chances are someone one here will have gone through it before and can share some thoughts

TG

User
Posted 31 Jul 2020 at 20:52

I had m rp on 12th June had to keep catheter in for near on 4 weeks due to infection

leaked a fair bit to start but now using 1 pad for night (ie just in case 6/8grams leakage on average) then 1pad during day leakage all depends on what sort of exercise and moving I do on average 10grams leakage for the day 

pfe done 3times a day so hopefully things going in the right direction 

don’t be too concerned things will get better

User
Posted 01 Aug 2020 at 19:13

Hi, Yes it's very early.   Amazing that every step you take a little bit leaks out.  I only truly realised this when I started going out and after a mile found my pad full and overflowing and me with no spare.  Luckily my wife had a plastic bag to put on the car seat.

The other amazing thing is that week by week it improved.  Dryness lasted a morning, then half the afternoon then the afternoon etc.  To keep you on your toes there are a few men who don't get a lot better and they need further treatment.  Exercises definitely do help.   All the best Peter

User
Posted 01 Aug 2020 at 21:54

Hi - I’d try restarting your Kegel (pelvic floor) exercises to activate the muscle group into action. Your brain has to get use to managing its revised plumbing. Don’t get too worried, your still very early days. 

User
Posted 02 Aug 2020 at 18:52
Yes, it's early days still. But do make sure you do your kegel exercises regularly. Pre-surgery, I went to see a physiotherapist at a clinic that focuses exclusively on pelvic floor issues for men and women to get some expert advice on how to do kegels properly. That might be something to consider to accelerate your progress.

One other minor tip that I got from my cancer center. Get new born baby diapers to use as pads. They are less bulky, more absorbent, better fitting, and less expensive than products marketed to adults. The way to use them is you cup your penis and scrotum with the baby diaper. The diaper tabs secure the back to the front to from a good fitting pouch.

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 31 Jul 2020 at 17:11

Hi Jackson L

Don't be too concerned. Some are dry from the get go. Others aren't

Just remember its very early days. I was wearing pads 24/7 for at least a couple of weeks. You will most probably find things gradually start to improve. I found after a bit I was dry on a morning then as I tired would lose control. Over time this got later in the day. I think by week 12 I was completely dry.Hope the operation went well

User
Posted 31 Jul 2020 at 18:58
You are expecting far too much of yourself - 50% of men are using one pad or less each day by 6 months post op and 90% of men are using one pad or less each day by 12 months post op. At 2 days post catheter removal, your urethral stitches are still healing and your brain has no idea where your bladder valve is positioned.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 31 Jul 2020 at 19:51

As Matron (Lyn) has said...don’t panic just yet. I was pretty much the same. Ok at night but leaks towards the later part of the day after a really good TWOC. That pipe causes irritation plus the stitches around the reconstructed bladder valve in the pelvic floor is held slightly open with the tension of the stitches in some case (including me). Resolved for me week 6 when the stitches started to melt. Plus after this there is healing and scar tissue to consider. There will be stress leaks but it gets better. Six months is when things starts to soften in terms of scar tissue but can take up to 18 months or so to settle properly. Sounds like you are making great progress but please should if any concerns as chances are someone one here will have gone through it before and can share some thoughts

TG

User
Posted 31 Jul 2020 at 20:52

I had m rp on 12th June had to keep catheter in for near on 4 weeks due to infection

leaked a fair bit to start but now using 1 pad for night (ie just in case 6/8grams leakage on average) then 1pad during day leakage all depends on what sort of exercise and moving I do on average 10grams leakage for the day 

pfe done 3times a day so hopefully things going in the right direction 

don’t be too concerned things will get better

User
Posted 01 Aug 2020 at 07:46
Thanks to all of you who have replied. Your comments have reassured me. My wife keeps telling me that its early days and it will get better. I'm sure this is true as you all have said. I just need to be patient and do what I can to try to improve things. Overall I think I am recovering well and I realise it is still early days.

Thanks again.

User
Posted 01 Aug 2020 at 19:13

Hi, Yes it's very early.   Amazing that every step you take a little bit leaks out.  I only truly realised this when I started going out and after a mile found my pad full and overflowing and me with no spare.  Luckily my wife had a plastic bag to put on the car seat.

The other amazing thing is that week by week it improved.  Dryness lasted a morning, then half the afternoon then the afternoon etc.  To keep you on your toes there are a few men who don't get a lot better and they need further treatment.  Exercises definitely do help.   All the best Peter

User
Posted 01 Aug 2020 at 21:54

Hi - I’d try restarting your Kegel (pelvic floor) exercises to activate the muscle group into action. Your brain has to get use to managing its revised plumbing. Don’t get too worried, your still very early days. 

User
Posted 02 Aug 2020 at 18:52
Yes, it's early days still. But do make sure you do your kegel exercises regularly. Pre-surgery, I went to see a physiotherapist at a clinic that focuses exclusively on pelvic floor issues for men and women to get some expert advice on how to do kegels properly. That might be something to consider to accelerate your progress.

One other minor tip that I got from my cancer center. Get new born baby diapers to use as pads. They are less bulky, more absorbent, better fitting, and less expensive than products marketed to adults. The way to use them is you cup your penis and scrotum with the baby diaper. The diaper tabs secure the back to the front to from a good fitting pouch.

User
Posted 03 Aug 2020 at 14:58

Hi. Thanks for your post. I had been doing PFE's before Op and have now recommenced them since catheter was removed. I have already noticed a slight improvement I think/hope! I know I just have to be patient and persevere. Cheers.

User
Posted 03 Aug 2020 at 15:05

Thanks Janus 381. I'll give the new born diapers a go...sounds a good idea.