Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Post op Leakage

User
Posted 31 Jul 2020 at 20:41

All

i recently had a radical prostatectomy after being diagnosed with prostate cancer 

Pima now 6 weeks post op and leaking on average 8 grams during night and 10 grams during day that is with doing a 5 mile walk and odd jobs around the house/garden is this normal for the amount of leakage

iam currently doing pfe 3 times a day

User
Posted 02 Dec 2020 at 20:17

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
I have been back to Urology and they tell me they don't know why I am experiencing this but its out of the normal expectation at this stage.

Personally, I find this quite shocking and I would worry that the urology team have rather glossed over the facts and given you an unrealistic expectation. Very few men are dry so soon after surgery - they say that about 60% of men are dry by 6 months post op and 90% of men are using one pad per day or less by the 12 month stage. 

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 01 Dec 2020 at 23:42

Jules, bit of a cliche, but it is early days. Being able to stop the urine flow mid stream is a sign that the mechanics are still working, don't try on a regular basis it is not good for the bladder. You have been bashed and battered about , give things time to heal.

Thanks Chris

Edited by member 01 Dec 2020 at 23:49  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 02 Dec 2020 at 08:43

Jules

the solifenican does work give it time also persist with the pelvic floor exercises I was bad to start with now totally dry day and night and that was after 3.5 months

hope this helps in some way

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 01 Aug 2020 at 12:55

No idea if it’s normal but I suspect it is given the trauma that the bladder has suffered. I certainly had the same problem for several months and had to use a pad. Eventually, and it probably took 12 months, things settled and things are now pretty normal. I still have to be careful, lifting weights or over stretching can cause minor leaks but it is rare.
I know for a long time I though it would never improve, but take it steady, do the pelvic floor exercises and you will get there

Edited by member 01 Aug 2020 at 12:56  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 01 Aug 2020 at 14:50

Hi Mark,

I think the amount of leakage varies but what you are describing sounds normal. I certainly needed a pad during the day and one at night 6 weeks in. Do you feel the level of leakage is gradually reducing?

User
Posted 01 Aug 2020 at 15:26

Hi Mike

as regards the leakage I hope it is normal and I do feel it is reducing just don’t want to risk no pad during night even though last night was dry hopefully down to 1 pad for night and day today

thanks for the reply

User
Posted 01 Aug 2020 at 16:14

Sounds like you are doing great Mark. If you are just about down to 1 pad a day at 6 weeks I think you are going to be absolutely fine.  

User
Posted 01 Aug 2020 at 19:02

Hi Mark,  After 6 weeks that sounds pretty good.   You say 8 grams at night, assuming it's the same as water that is 80ml or 1/6 pint.  It could be you should drink less in the evening.  I drank nothing after 7pm for a long time.  I never leaked at night but wore a pad at night for months.

I wore a pad for about 5 months but in the last month it was just assurance.  It suddenly got a lot better.

All the best, Peter

User
Posted 01 Dec 2020 at 21:13

Hi All

I had a open RP mid Oct this year, catheter out on 5th Nov.  So I am now about 4 weeks post catheter and I get through a pad every 2 hours, in other words I leek constantly, probably about 1000 ml during the day.  I'm 62 never had a problem before the Op. At night lying down I am fairly dry but as soon as I stand up and walk then I cant hold it with the pelvic floor muscle and the sphincter obviously is not doing what it should.

Anybody else out there have a similar problem that would be willing to share how you improved  the situation (if at all) I have been back to Urology and they tell me they don't know why I am experiencing this but its out of the normal expectation at this stage. they have put me on a drug called Solifenacin, don't know if this will help as it is early days, but I'm not feeling overly confident. thank you in advance

Jules

User
Posted 01 Dec 2020 at 23:42

Jules, bit of a cliche, but it is early days. Being able to stop the urine flow mid stream is a sign that the mechanics are still working, don't try on a regular basis it is not good for the bladder. You have been bashed and battered about , give things time to heal.

Thanks Chris

Edited by member 01 Dec 2020 at 23:49  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 02 Dec 2020 at 08:43

Jules

the solifenican does work give it time also persist with the pelvic floor exercises I was bad to start with now totally dry day and night and that was after 3.5 months

hope this helps in some way

User
Posted 02 Dec 2020 at 20:17

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
I have been back to Urology and they tell me they don't know why I am experiencing this but its out of the normal expectation at this stage.

Personally, I find this quite shocking and I would worry that the urology team have rather glossed over the facts and given you an unrealistic expectation. Very few men are dry so soon after surgery - they say that about 60% of men are dry by 6 months post op and 90% of men are using one pad per day or less by the 12 month stage. 

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 03 Oct 2023 at 08:59

How are you doing now ?  I am similar to you !