This question is often asked and many wonder if they picked the right one right up to the day of treatment and sometimes later. Although almost everyone thinks they chose the right one.
My tumour was said to be close to the edge and fairly high grade(4+3) T2a/poss T3. It was the close to the edge that was most worrying. With that information I was keen to get it out and the surgeon saying it was away from the bladder made me keener to have it cut out asap.
I was offered RT with hormones but it seemed like a prolonged treatment with 30 days of travelling to the hospital every day except weekend and no result for months. Although RT might be better if the tumour has a chance of being on parts outside the prostate that can't be certain to be removed such as the bladder, seminal vesicles or nerves.
Within 3 weeks of the decision I was out of hospital. The op went well and I'd no pain at all, just standard recovery although I still have ED to a large degree. It was upgraded to 4+4 after the op but the margin was negative and psa undetectable which is knowledge you get in 6 weeks after the op.
You can have your head filled with doubts. Some people have strong opinions about side effects. Some say beware of over treatment, others say PCa grows slowly so don't be rushed.
My opinion is it's better to make up your mind at the interview and then go for it. If you wish to see both a surgeon and an oncologist try to get a date out of the surgeon to hold onto. If they know you might not take surgery that might be hard. The oncologist can start you on hormones almost immediately if you went that way.
If you delay you might hit another delay as you never know what's coming up. Like winter flu or A&E surges or a pandemic.
All the best, Peter
Edited by member 04 Aug 2020 at 21:32
| Reason: Not specified