I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

following on from chemotherapy

User
Posted 04 Aug 2020 at 22:07

My partner finished his 6 months of chemo this year and has been feeling really well but his latest PSA has gone up to 45 and his consultant has said he wants him to start radiotherapy as soon as possible.  He has three holidays booked for September, celebrating his 70th birthday and is keen to enjoy them and delay his radiotherapy until after the celebrations.  He is dubious about the radiotherapy after reading all about the side effects.  Any feedback will be most welcome.

User
Posted 05 Aug 2020 at 08:13
Hi Fifi,

the radiotherapy isn't going to be like he has read or heard about, where he has to go every day for weeks on end. Is the onco just suggesting a couple of zaps to certain bone tumours?

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 05 Aug 2020 at 14:33

Some people are cool and others are anxious.  It's cool to go on holiday when a consultant has said take treatment as soon as possible.   I'm completely the opposite.  Also if he had treatment starting now it might be over by then.

I had a 4 week holiday in Australia booked before I'd any idea I'd got Prostate Cancer.  I noticed the date getting nearer and then was told my op could be a couple of weeks before departure so I started planning that I might not go on holiday.

I cancelled bookings that needed a full payment as the payments became due and delayed booking others.  That meant I lost the deposit and some of an internal flight.   

As luck would have it the surgeon then gave a date 5 weeks earlier, just before Christmas, and I guessed that I might get my post op clinic in just before departure.

The airline, Singapore Airlines, were very good they said ring us the day before departure and you can defer the flight but there will be charge.  As another stroke of luck I got a clinic appointment 4 days before departure and was told it was no problem to go.   I then re-booked and decided the lost £300 wasn't worth claiming because of insurance excesses.   As luck would also have it there was a late booking sale so it made up some of the loss.

Whether you can weave your way round it and still go is worth looking at.