I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Regular PSA tests at GP surgery

User
Posted 07 Aug 2020 at 16:01

I just spoke to my GP surgery to check if my six monthly PSA test would be carried out sometime this month and was informed that it was highly unlikely that it would and they have been playing "catch up" over the last 8 weeks due to the Corvid 19 pandemic putting a stop to all regular blood tests being carried out during the peak period of the pandemic.

I wonder if this is truly a nationwide issue or have some NHS trusts taken a different stance on how they deal with regular blood testing i.e. less Corvid 19 patients in their trust area has allowed them to carry out regular blood tests fairly normally.

How I wonder have other chaps on here faired when it comes to regular PSA tests?

Roger
User
Posted 07 Aug 2020 at 16:18

Roger

Back in April my GP surgery said surveillance PSA testing was one of the blood tests that would still be done and I had mine done in May. It was obviously a different procedure to normal.

I think I could have gone to our hospital phlebotomy if needed.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 07 Aug 2020 at 18:09
rogcal,had my 6 monthly psa check last month,at nuffield hospital,the nhs have taken over a wing to do all blood tests,give macmillan nurse a call they will help you,cheers.
User
Posted 07 Aug 2020 at 19:30

I had a psa test mid lockdown. But I think the receptionist may have confused psa test for hormone injection. If she had have known it was a routine psa test it may not have happened. My wife needs three monthly B12 injections and her nhs  gp won't do them, we had to go private for one. 

Dave

User
Posted 07 Aug 2020 at 22:52
Your GP is taking the ssip I think - john has had two PSA tests during Covid - both at the GP practice and on time.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 07 Aug 2020 at 23:08

There's a blood test unit that several GP surgeries around me share, and they've been doing blood tests just like normal as far as I know. Waiting room is closed and you have to queue outside, and there have been fewer people, but it all still worked.

For my Zoladex injections, that was done by the GP nurse (except the last one I did myself, but still in the surgery under supervision of the nurse). I was surprised they didn't call me to see if I was ill before letting me in, but the nurse said they have to do the Zoladex anyway, even if I am ill.

User
Posted 08 Aug 2020 at 00:38
I have kept well away from my local surgery having been sheltering with Barbara. So I have missed a PSA test but this thread severs to remind me that I have a telephone check up with UCLH in September and it would seem prudent to arrange a PSA test now so I can pass the result on at the appointment.
Barry
User
Posted 08 Aug 2020 at 06:55

Since starting on abiraterone the first week in June. .I have had fortnightly bloods taken at GP surgery, the nurse said the have been getting results back quickly as labs may be quieter have also had Prostap injections at GP as well.

Their process is that you buzz intercom they ask you some COVID related questions and you have to wear a face mask. It’s only ever been me in the waiting room. 

User
Posted 08 Aug 2020 at 07:16
I have had no problems at all at my surgery,in the last 2wks i have had my Zoladex injection and a PSA.

You wear a mask and they take your temperature see the nurse have your injections and out another door.

User
Posted 08 Aug 2020 at 08:04
Our surgery has stopped doing all but certain emergency blood tests at the surgery (and have locked the front gate since March). But I had mine done in April at the local hospital walk in clinic having got the form from the surgery.
User
Posted 08 Aug 2020 at 13:54
My surgery, the biggest practice in Coventry - no longer does blood tests in-house - but there are multiple chemists round the area who do.

There’s one round the corner, where ‘vampire’ Hayley is very good at her job. I book an on-line appointment around 07.30 when they open, so I’m in and out, and I get the result next day on my Patient Access app.

The GP gives me a phlebotomy form and I photocopy it as necessary. I thought I’d better get a new one this time as the original was dated 2018....

I’m down to six-monthly tests from now on, and I seem to be very lucky with testing round here. Why a PSA test is so difficult for others to obtain is beyond me!

Cheers, John.

User
Posted 08 Aug 2020 at 16:59

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
Why a PSA test is so difficult for others to obtain is beyond me!

No problems here either in North Oxfordshire. I phone the GP, persuade the guard-dog that I need a PSA test. They like to know if it's GP ordered or hospital ordered (I suppose it may come out of a different budget?) They book me a test more or less on the day I want. Next day the result is viewable online.

I suppose different practices have adapted differently to the Coronavirus pandemic, which probably accounts for regional variation.

_____

Two cannibals named Ectomy and Prost, all alone on a Desert island.

Prost was the strongest, so Prost ate Ectomy.

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 07 Aug 2020 at 16:18

Roger

Back in April my GP surgery said surveillance PSA testing was one of the blood tests that would still be done and I had mine done in May. It was obviously a different procedure to normal.

I think I could have gone to our hospital phlebotomy if needed.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 07 Aug 2020 at 16:26

Thanks Chris.  

I wouldn't mind so much if they had at least notified patients who underwent surveillance PSA testing that there may be some delays but nothing forthcoming from them and even their website remains quiet on the subject.

Roger
User
Posted 07 Aug 2020 at 18:09
rogcal,had my 6 monthly psa check last month,at nuffield hospital,the nhs have taken over a wing to do all blood tests,give macmillan nurse a call they will help you,cheers.
User
Posted 07 Aug 2020 at 19:30

I had a psa test mid lockdown. But I think the receptionist may have confused psa test for hormone injection. If she had have known it was a routine psa test it may not have happened. My wife needs three monthly B12 injections and her nhs  gp won't do them, we had to go private for one. 

Dave

User
Posted 07 Aug 2020 at 20:21

Thanks Radar, I'll give them a ring.  Worth a go!

Roger
User
Posted 07 Aug 2020 at 22:52
Your GP is taking the ssip I think - john has had two PSA tests during Covid - both at the GP practice and on time.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 07 Aug 2020 at 23:08

There's a blood test unit that several GP surgeries around me share, and they've been doing blood tests just like normal as far as I know. Waiting room is closed and you have to queue outside, and there have been fewer people, but it all still worked.

For my Zoladex injections, that was done by the GP nurse (except the last one I did myself, but still in the surgery under supervision of the nurse). I was surprised they didn't call me to see if I was ill before letting me in, but the nurse said they have to do the Zoladex anyway, even if I am ill.

User
Posted 08 Aug 2020 at 00:38
I have kept well away from my local surgery having been sheltering with Barbara. So I have missed a PSA test but this thread severs to remind me that I have a telephone check up with UCLH in September and it would seem prudent to arrange a PSA test now so I can pass the result on at the appointment.
Barry
User
Posted 08 Aug 2020 at 06:55

Since starting on abiraterone the first week in June. .I have had fortnightly bloods taken at GP surgery, the nurse said the have been getting results back quickly as labs may be quieter have also had Prostap injections at GP as well.

Their process is that you buzz intercom they ask you some COVID related questions and you have to wear a face mask. It’s only ever been me in the waiting room. 

User
Posted 08 Aug 2020 at 07:16
I have had no problems at all at my surgery,in the last 2wks i have had my Zoladex injection and a PSA.

You wear a mask and they take your temperature see the nurse have your injections and out another door.

User
Posted 08 Aug 2020 at 08:04
Our surgery has stopped doing all but certain emergency blood tests at the surgery (and have locked the front gate since March). But I had mine done in April at the local hospital walk in clinic having got the form from the surgery.
User
Posted 08 Aug 2020 at 09:09

Thanks for all the responses, I shall explore the suggestion of ringing Macmillan and also asking my GP for a "bloods form" to take the either of my local hospitals where they have a walk-in phlebotomy service.

Wishing all of you a safe and not too hot summer!😃

Roger
User
Posted 08 Aug 2020 at 13:54
My surgery, the biggest practice in Coventry - no longer does blood tests in-house - but there are multiple chemists round the area who do.

There’s one round the corner, where ‘vampire’ Hayley is very good at her job. I book an on-line appointment around 07.30 when they open, so I’m in and out, and I get the result next day on my Patient Access app.

The GP gives me a phlebotomy form and I photocopy it as necessary. I thought I’d better get a new one this time as the original was dated 2018....

I’m down to six-monthly tests from now on, and I seem to be very lucky with testing round here. Why a PSA test is so difficult for others to obtain is beyond me!

Cheers, John.

User
Posted 08 Aug 2020 at 16:59

Why a PSA test is so difficult for others to obtain is beyond me!

No problems here either in North Oxfordshire. I phone the GP, persuade the guard-dog that I need a PSA test. They like to know if it's GP ordered or hospital ordered (I suppose it may come out of a different budget?) They book me a test more or less on the day I want. Next day the result is viewable online.

I suppose different practices have adapted differently to the Coronavirus pandemic, which probably accounts for regional variation.

_____

User
Posted 10 Aug 2020 at 15:58
I spoke with my Diabetes review nurse this morning and explained how my surveillance PSA blood test was being withheld for the time being and hey presto I'm now scheduled to have ALL my blood tests carried out tomorrow.

I suspect that the receptionists have been told to tell anyone enquiring about outstanding non emergency blood tests that they are on the back burner for a couple of months.

Oh well, this happy bunny shan't be having a word with the CQC after all.

Roger
User
Posted 10 Aug 2020 at 17:41

Good result.

I suspect that the receptionists have been told to tell anyone enquiring about outstanding non emergency blood tests that they are on the back burner for a couple of months.

There's a reason I call them 'guard dogs'. I wonder how many people they are responsible for killing?

_____