I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Alcohol-free

User
Posted 20 Aug 2020 at 12:16

After Prostate Cancer Surgery I have to say, my alcohol consumption went through the roof! I soon realized that it didn’t solve any of my problems and my health started to deteriorate. I started a support group on Facebook called Sober Inspired Pirates. It’s free and now has nearly 5,000 crew based on a Pirate 🏴‍☠️ Ship called Freedom. Take a look at the website www.soberinspiredpirates.com and you can join from a link there. It’s private, supportive and very friendly. You’ll love it! Daniel 

User
Posted 20 Aug 2020 at 16:00

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

shewas the prostate nurse, but no, she was from the alcohol dependency unit, fearing I would have a seizure after being deprived of alcohol for two days.

Someone there had assumed I had a problem, fair play to them, but I told the nurse, if that’s what she was, I didn’t want to be ‘cured’. She gave me various tablets, Niacin and vitamin X to prevent a seizure, which I didn’t take.

Cheers, John.

I got a similar visit once when admission nurse wrote my number of units down wrong. A lady came in and said "I'm from the alcohol support team" I said oh good I'll have a glass of red. She did not share my scence of humour unfortunately!

Seriously though good luck to anyone struggling with it

Cheers

Bill

User
Posted 20 Aug 2020 at 15:15
After my prostate surgery whilst still connected to various pipes, a lady visited my bed and drew the curtains round for a chat. I presumed she was the prostate nurse, but no, she was from the alcohol dependency unit, fearing I would have a seizure after being deprived of alcohol for two days.

Someone there had assumed I had a problem, fair play to them, but I told the nurse, if that’s what she was, I didn’t want to be ‘cured’. She gave me various tablets, Niacin and vitamin X to prevent a seizure, which I didn’t take.

Fortunately, whilst I was waiting at the hospital in Guildford, having been discharged to be collected by Her Loveliness, who was lost on the way to Portsmouth, I spotted the hospital social club over the road and a sign: ‘Real Ale, All Welcome’.

Once the steward cut off my hospital bracelet (he was not allowed to serve patients), I had a refreshing pint of ale, and he helped Madam by phone to my location, despite her having a sat-nav...

I seem to be still suffering from thirst two years later, which I assume are still the after-effects of my anaesthetic!

Best of luck with your endeavour. I know a cancer diagnosis is devastating for very many, leading to alcohol dependency.

Cheers, John.

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 20 Aug 2020 at 15:15
After my prostate surgery whilst still connected to various pipes, a lady visited my bed and drew the curtains round for a chat. I presumed she was the prostate nurse, but no, she was from the alcohol dependency unit, fearing I would have a seizure after being deprived of alcohol for two days.

Fortunately, whilst I was waiting at the hospital in Guildford, having been discharged to be collected by Her Loveliness, who was lost on the way to Portsmouth, I spotted the hospital social club over the road and a sign: ‘Real Ale, All Welcome’.

Once the steward cut off my hospital bracelet (he was not allowed to serve patients), I had a refreshing pint of ale, and he helped Madam by phone to my location, despite her having a sat-nav...

I seem to be still suffering from thirst two years later, which I assume are still the after-effects of my anaesthetic!

Best of luck with your endeavour. I know a cancer diagnosis is devastating for very many, leading to alcohol dependency.

Cheers, John.

User
Posted 20 Aug 2020 at 15:50
Lol John ( Bollinger) that made me laugh. Despite being full of cancer and bipolar I’m still packing the units away. Def dependent but not alcoholic. Told GP and Onco what I was consuming and they said they didn’t blame me and that my liver was good. However I’m surprised I didn’t have a seizure in hospital. I ended up in 14 nights. However I was put on Diazepam and Zopiclone so that prob helped.
User
Posted 20 Aug 2020 at 16:00

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

shewas the prostate nurse, but no, she was from the alcohol dependency unit, fearing I would have a seizure after being deprived of alcohol for two days.

Cheers, John.

I got a similar visit once when admission nurse wrote my number of units down wrong. A lady came in and said "I'm from the alcohol support team" I said oh good I'll have a glass of red. She did not share my scence of humour unfortunately!

Seriously though good luck to anyone struggling with it

Cheers

Bill

User
Posted 21 Aug 2020 at 02:29

Sorry guys, should have made it clearer, it’s not a group for non-drinkers, some are but most still do. Nothing like AA just a fun group for those exploring their alcohol journey in an amusing way, sometimes, as we’ve done here. All the best shipmates! 

User
Posted 21 Aug 2020 at 19:34
Hi, Lidl do a rather good alcohol free beer in the German style called Perlenbacher very refreshing when served cold, the full alcohol version is also quite good. Far better than fizzy drinks etc.