I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Some advice :-)

User
Posted 30 Aug 2020 at 06:48

Maybe you say I should be speaking to the care team in relation to my treatment options, however I have been and its a mystery to them at present, that although my scans and bloods are good just now and have been described at present as being in remission, no professional can actually pinpoint what's going on (and actually my bones are in a better state than they were from my first diagnosis in March).

I have had 3 scans over the last little while, and I seem to be responding well to arbitirone. Blood test/LFT's  coming back are looking good and still on 0.1 PSA (reduced from 38). Last scan was done due to potential concern of spine compression because of continuing probs with my lower back and pelvis area, however there was nothing obvious that appears to be causing pain and nothing at all to support a need for radiotherapy. 

Unfortunatly I did miss a monthly infusion of zoleniac acid. I did have one infusion during my 1st chemo session in March, but it was missed due to the covid hassels. I was referred again last month for this infusion and going again for this tomorrow but its not seeming to have much effect regards pain management.

Issue is that I get pain in my lower back, pelvis and often goes to my thighs. Its a strange pain and differs in different places. I have been put on slow release morphine and also naproxen, break through morhpine and paracetamol. I think the pain gets worse due to constipation tbh and have tablet and powder laxative. However taking the powdered stuff turns things in to water really and its never right at all, one extreme to the other really. However the tablet form which I got prescribed recently are making a bit of a good difference. I was also having similar pain/gastro probs before morphine, (however it is a bit more enhanced now with the morpine.) Using  heat pads and cold compressions do make a difference when the pain starts reaching level 7 and prevents it from getting to 8 or 9 and lowers the pain quite a lot quite quickly.

Anyway, what I'm asking really, has anyone else had similar experiences to my 'war and peace' novel above and if so how did you go about managing the pain? 

Thanks a lot for reading :-) 

User
Posted 30 Aug 2020 at 10:25
It sounds musculoskeletal rather than cancer related - all these months of working from home probably made worse by the abiraterone - it is a known side effect. Have you seen a community or palliative physio and / or occupational therapist?
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard