I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Thigh pain post surgery

User
Posted 30 Aug 2020 at 23:42

I am posting for my 69 year old husband who had radical prostatectomy with lymph node removal in June of this year. I came across this web site while researching what could be causing my husbands pain In top of his right thigh after he has been standing or walking for less than an hour. His experience is identical to the post from Simon Armstrong on December 2, 2018.  We were wondering if he ever got relief, and if so, what did he do.  Or has anyone else experienced the pain which is relieved with about 10 minutes of resting. He cannot be on his feet for more than an hour, or the intense pain puts him down.  It really interferes with his work and activities.  He is also dealing with severe incontinence. He can’t go anywhere in public for any length of time. He goes back to his urologist in October. I wanted to be prepared with any information I can gather.
We would appreciate any suggestions.  Thank you.

User
Posted 31 Aug 2020 at 09:18
Hi just a couple of thoughts. It's still early days so standing for an hour less than 2 months after major surgery may be to much. Little and often is the key at this stage.

Re incontinence again it's s bit to early to be worrying, just keep doing the kegels.

To get more help from this site you should post a bit more info on his staging, PSA, scans etc.

Hope things improve soon...

User
Posted 31 Aug 2020 at 14:34
It seems very, very early to have gone back to work - particularly if he has to stand for long periods. It could just be nerve endings healing & sending confused messages to the brain but there is also a risk of lymphodema or DVT so best to ask the GP / family doctor to check him over.

Re continence - 90% of men are using one pad per day or less at the 12 month mark; 50% of men are using one pad or less at 6 months. Was he a bit over-optimistic about recovery or did the surgeon not explain these things to him? Some urologists do seem to be ridiculously good at glossing over the downsides :-(

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 31 Aug 2020 at 15:41

Hi,

It might be arthritis.  I was diagnosed with PCa nearly 4 years ago and at the same time got an intense pain in the hip while I was on a country walk but managed to get back to the car which was 4 miles away.  It was agony and for 2 days after I couldn't walk. Then I couldn't bend down for some time.  Very slowly it got better, over a period of 6 months.

Although that was not fast enough for my imagination.  Also not helped by searching the internet and of course finding people whose first symptoms were a pain in the hip.

The doctors and nurses kept telling me the bone scan found nothing and people associate every pain with PCa when usually it has nothing to do with it.

Anyway after my op I decided to go to the GP saying it was Trochanteric Bursitis but might be related to PCa  He laughed and said it was likely to be arthritis and gave me Ibuprofin gel and just in case said I could have a psa test.  Which was undetectable.   I used the gel a few days but couldn't imagine it would help so didn't use it.

It went away completely after about 6 months.

Your husband might have something else but it might be arthritis.

I also get a pain right down my left leg every few months since the op.  I think it's the sciatic nerve, I read the op can shift it.  Wow that is painful.  Luckily it only lasts about 10 seconds a time.

Let's hope for the best
Peter

User
Posted 31 Aug 2020 at 19:09

Sue

Losing control of the bladder when standing up is heard frequently from men on here, anything that squashes the bladder can cause a leak. I find I can walk without leaking and leak when I stop. Can he stop the flow of urine mid stream, don't do it on a regular basis it's not good for the bladder ? If he can stop it shows the remaining sphincter is functional.  Still early days and lots of options on the continence front. I am nearly 69 and was diagnosed with osteoarthritis of the hip in the last few years.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 31 Aug 2020 at 20:21

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
Denny’s surgeon told us that Denny should be back to normal 3-4 months after surgery

Denny's surgeon was an optimistic kind of guy  :-/  

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 31 Aug 2020 at 23:32
I'm 5 years down the line, just spent the day baling and wrapping the last of the grass crop. I am now struggling to walk! 3 months is very early days and he really should be on light duties..
Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 31 Aug 2020 at 09:18
Hi just a couple of thoughts. It's still early days so standing for an hour less than 2 months after major surgery may be to much. Little and often is the key at this stage.

Re incontinence again it's s bit to early to be worrying, just keep doing the kegels.

To get more help from this site you should post a bit more info on his staging, PSA, scans etc.

Hope things improve soon...

User
Posted 31 Aug 2020 at 12:47

Thank you Francij1. I appreciate your input. I will follow up with more posts on Denny’s history.

Sue

User
Posted 31 Aug 2020 at 14:34
It seems very, very early to have gone back to work - particularly if he has to stand for long periods. It could just be nerve endings healing & sending confused messages to the brain but there is also a risk of lymphodema or DVT so best to ask the GP / family doctor to check him over.

Re continence - 90% of men are using one pad per day or less at the 12 month mark; 50% of men are using one pad or less at 6 months. Was he a bit over-optimistic about recovery or did the surgeon not explain these things to him? Some urologists do seem to be ridiculously good at glossing over the downsides :-(

User
Posted 31 Aug 2020 at 15:41

Hi,

It might be arthritis.  I was diagnosed with PCa nearly 4 years ago and at the same time got an intense pain in the hip while I was on a country walk but managed to get back to the car which was 4 miles away.  It was agony and for 2 days after I couldn't walk. Then I couldn't bend down for some time.  Very slowly it got better, over a period of 6 months.

Although that was not fast enough for my imagination.  Also not helped by searching the internet and of course finding people whose first symptoms were a pain in the hip.

The doctors and nurses kept telling me the bone scan found nothing and people associate every pain with PCa when usually it has nothing to do with it.

Anyway after my op I decided to go to the GP saying it was Trochanteric Bursitis but might be related to PCa  He laughed and said it was likely to be arthritis and gave me Ibuprofin gel and just in case said I could have a psa test.  Which was undetectable.   I used the gel a few days but couldn't imagine it would help so didn't use it.

It went away completely after about 6 months.

Your husband might have something else but it might be arthritis.

I also get a pain right down my left leg every few months since the op.  I think it's the sciatic nerve, I read the op can shift it.  Wow that is painful.  Luckily it only lasts about 10 seconds a time.

Let's hope for the best
Peter

User
Posted 31 Aug 2020 at 18:40

Thank you LynEyre and Peter for your responses.  It is helpful to get others opinions.

Denny’s surgeon told us that Denny should be back to normal 3-4 months after surgery. September 3 is 3 months. Well, Denny is soaking around 8 pads a day and needs depends at night.  He says he can hold his urine when he is sitting, but he loses all control when getting up or walking. He says he is doing his kegels like instructed.  Denny still farming and he is trying to get ready for harvest. He gets frustrated between the severe pain in his thigh and he has to rest to calm it down and the nuisance of the incontinence.

I remind him I am thankful Cancer was successfully removed and no further treatments. I like your saying LynEyre, - Life can only be understood backwards, but it must be lived forwards.

Once again, thank you LynEyre and Peter 

Sue

User
Posted 31 Aug 2020 at 19:09

Sue

Losing control of the bladder when standing up is heard frequently from men on here, anything that squashes the bladder can cause a leak. I find I can walk without leaking and leak when I stop. Can he stop the flow of urine mid stream, don't do it on a regular basis it's not good for the bladder ? If he can stop it shows the remaining sphincter is functional.  Still early days and lots of options on the continence front. I am nearly 69 and was diagnosed with osteoarthritis of the hip in the last few years.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 31 Aug 2020 at 19:39

Thank you for your input, Chris.  Reading about others experiences in life is helpful In adjusting to new circumstances in life.

User
Posted 31 Aug 2020 at 20:21

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
Denny’s surgeon told us that Denny should be back to normal 3-4 months after surgery

Denny's surgeon was an optimistic kind of guy  :-/  

User
Posted 31 Aug 2020 at 23:32
I'm 5 years down the line, just spent the day baling and wrapping the last of the grass crop. I am now struggling to walk! 3 months is very early days and he really should be on light duties..
User
Posted 31 Aug 2020 at 23:48

Thank you Francij1 for your experience and advice.

Sue