Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

WHATS BEST FOR 75 YEAR OLD ALBI OR ENZA

User
Posted 03 Sep 2020 at 18:09

Hi Folks,

Further to my bio info.today given bad news that the initial hormone drug given to me has stopped being effective.The doctor said the above meds. are my options.Apparently there is no compelling evidence either of the two above drugs is more effective than the other viz adverse side effects or longlivity.He has given me the med. leaflets to read and left the choice  what to go for up to me.He thinks that with my medical history and no other ailments than APC I should be able to tolerate either. Both seem to have potentially the risk of various unpleasant side effects  componded by an individuals tolerence to them which is impossible to predict accurately in advance.

Rather than just tossing a coin grateful for any views readers may have to help me in making this decision.

Kind Regards

Norm

Edited by member 03 Sep 2020 at 23:56  | Reason: typos

User
Posted 04 Sep 2020 at 09:37

Hi Norm, sorry the cancer has moved on. I can't help with the drugs, just moving your post up to the top of the list in case anyone missed it. 

Dave

User
Posted 04 Sep 2020 at 10:07
Hi Norm,

I'm about a year ahead of you with a G9N1M0 diagnosis. Similarly my Hormone therapy started to fail more or less 8 months after finishing chemo PSA rising from 1.2 to 13.9. Then put on Enzalutamide last October and PSA dropped quickly to 1.2 where it has stayed since March this year.

As for side effects they have been much the same as when on HT with maybe a little more fatigue and weight gain which I'm now slowly losing.

Can't comment on Abi as was not offered the choice.

Hope this helps

Andy

User
Posted 04 Sep 2020 at 13:37
I think it has been left up to you simply because there is so little difference between them in terms of effectiveness or side effects. The saving grace in your specific situation is that if you start on one and find within the first 3 months that you have serious side effects or it isn't working, you will be able to change to the other. After the 3 month mark, you cannot have abi after enzo has failed or enzo after abi has failed.

You may have to toss a coin :-/

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 05 Sep 2020 at 10:47
My husband has had both. Abi first as part of a trial which worked no side effects but then raised liver function so had to stop, As this was part of a trial he was then able to go onto Enzo which he was on for almost a year. No noticeable side effects. He found Enzo easier as with Abi he had to fast for 2 hours before and an hour after.
User
Posted 05 Sep 2020 at 22:08
Hi Norm

I can only state my own experience.

I started on a trial 68 months ago where I was prescribed HT, Abbi and Enzalutamide

I dropped the abbi in the first month due to high ALT readings and bad stomach.

I am still on HT and Enza with psa still around .05.

Side effects have been bearable. I used to run but now I hike. I'm weaker. More tired and I have hot flushes.

However I'm ok, still ride my motorcycle and enjoy life.

As I say that's just my own experience.

Paul

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 04 Sep 2020 at 09:37

Hi Norm, sorry the cancer has moved on. I can't help with the drugs, just moving your post up to the top of the list in case anyone missed it. 

Dave

User
Posted 04 Sep 2020 at 10:07
Hi Norm,

I'm about a year ahead of you with a G9N1M0 diagnosis. Similarly my Hormone therapy started to fail more or less 8 months after finishing chemo PSA rising from 1.2 to 13.9. Then put on Enzalutamide last October and PSA dropped quickly to 1.2 where it has stayed since March this year.

As for side effects they have been much the same as when on HT with maybe a little more fatigue and weight gain which I'm now slowly losing.

Can't comment on Abi as was not offered the choice.

Hope this helps

Andy

User
Posted 04 Sep 2020 at 13:37
I think it has been left up to you simply because there is so little difference between them in terms of effectiveness or side effects. The saving grace in your specific situation is that if you start on one and find within the first 3 months that you have serious side effects or it isn't working, you will be able to change to the other. After the 3 month mark, you cannot have abi after enzo has failed or enzo after abi has failed.

You may have to toss a coin :-/

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 05 Sep 2020 at 10:47
My husband has had both. Abi first as part of a trial which worked no side effects but then raised liver function so had to stop, As this was part of a trial he was then able to go onto Enzo which he was on for almost a year. No noticeable side effects. He found Enzo easier as with Abi he had to fast for 2 hours before and an hour after.
User
Posted 05 Sep 2020 at 22:08
Hi Norm

I can only state my own experience.

I started on a trial 68 months ago where I was prescribed HT, Abbi and Enzalutamide

I dropped the abbi in the first month due to high ALT readings and bad stomach.

I am still on HT and Enza with psa still around .05.

Side effects have been bearable. I used to run but now I hike. I'm weaker. More tired and I have hot flushes.

However I'm ok, still ride my motorcycle and enjoy life.

As I say that's just my own experience.

Paul