Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

PIRADS lesion of 3

User
Posted 04 Sep 2020 at 08:46

Hi

i had a PSA test 15 months ago and was found to be 3.8. I had a DRE by a urology surgeon and it was normal. The PSA dropped to 2.9 6-weeks later. My urology surgeon wanted me to retest every 12 or so months. I did this recently, and had a PSA Of 3.8 but a normal DRE. He suggested an mpMRI and this found I have a small prostate and a 4mm abnormality which was given a PIRADS score of 3. My surgeon has suggested wait 6-9 months or have a biopsy. I have opted for a biopsy. I am really concerned about the potential findings from the biopsy, so much so it’s keeping me awake night and night. Has anyone experienced anything similar? I’m 54 years old so was shocked they found something

User
Posted 04 Sep 2020 at 13:52

PI-RADS 3 means that something suspicious was seen and they cannot judge whether or not it may be cancer - the scale is:

PI-RADS 1: very low (clinically significant cancer is highly unlikely to be present)
PI-RADS 2: low (clinically significant cancer is unlikely to be present)
PI-RADS 3: intermediate (the presence of clinically significant cancer is equivocal)
PI-RADS 4: high (clinically significant cancer is likely to be present)
PI-RADS 5: very high (clinically significant cancer is highly likely to be present)

However, it is only a visual prediction - we have had men on here who had a finding of PI-RADS 5 but further detailed diagnostics found that the lesion was benign and we have had men with PI-RADS 1 or 2 who went on to be diagnosed with prostate cancer.

It is easy to say don't worry but really, try not to worry - whatever they have seen needs further assessment but even with all the detail of the mpMRI available to them, they are unsure whether it is cancer or infection or PIN or bruising from all the cycling. Fingers crossed the biopsy comes back clear.

Edited by member 04 Sep 2020 at 13:53  | Reason: Not specified

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 04 Sep 2020 at 14:26

Hi Steve,

Many of us have been exactly where you are right now so know what you are going through. The really good thing is that nothing has been confirmed yet and your PSA is relatively low.

Hopefully the biopsy will come back clear. At worst you will be dealing with something that is likely to be at a very early stage.

My PSA rose to 5.8 about 3 years ago and after a couple of years of monitoring was treated earlier this year ( see my profile) It was a shock at the time but it didn't take long before life was virtually back to normal. 

Good luck

User
Posted 04 Sep 2020 at 19:13

Thanks for your reassuring comments! I really appreciate it

User
Posted 04 Sep 2020 at 19:15

Thanks Mike, good to hear from a fellow cyclist!! 

User
Posted 04 Sep 2020 at 20:53

Hi Steve,

Sorry that you have found yourself in this position but you will find a huge amount of helpful information on these forums.

if you checkout my profile you will see my history but much similar to yourself, I am 57 and healthy with an active lifestyle, I had a PSA of 5.6 and my DRE didn’t raise any concerns but I ended up getting referred to a urologist and subsequent MRI scan which came back as PIRAD 3, I then went for a biopsy  which found that I had cancerous cells in my prostate which was a huge shock for me as I didn’t have any symptoms. My Gleason score was 3+4 (7) and on the 22nd July I had Brachytherapy treatment for my prostate cancer and I have my first follow up consultation in September. I feel that I have been lucky as my cancer was detected early and I have every expectation that It will be treated successfully.

shortly after I was diagnosed I told a friend of mine about my diagnosis and he was experiencing pain in his pelvic area, he was subsequently diagnosed with prostate cancer and it has moved to his bones, he is currently getting treated for that but I would much rather be in my position where my cancer was detected early and contained in my prostate and very treatable rather than his situation.

Having said all that you might not even have cancer but if you do many people on this forum have gone before you and are living proof that treatment is successful.

Good Luck in the meantime 

David

Edited by member 04 Sep 2020 at 20:54  | Reason: Missing word

User
Posted 05 Sep 2020 at 06:15

I would suggest that you don’t let them palm you off with the increasingly obsolete TRUS (up the bum) biopsy, because if the results of that are inconclusive, you may end up having another more accurate transperineal biopsy subsequently. BOGOF!

Some hospitals are now 100% transperineal, whether using a local or general anaesthetic or an epidural. For example, a TRUS might take 12 biopsy samples, whereas in my case the transperineal (also called Template or Target) biopsy took 42 biopsies.

The TRUS biopsy makes umpteen punctures in the bowel wall, with the inevitable consequence that there are frequent post-operative infections despite antibiotics, with a few patients admitted to hospital for a week or so afterwards.

With transperineal biopsies the sample needles go into the perineum below the scrotum and above the anus, so the bowel is unaffected, although they do insert an ultrasound butt plug into the rectum to guide the needles.

Best of luck, hope you come out all clear! Just wondering, how did you come to have a PSA test aged 54? Did you request it from your GP, was it part of a company medical?

Cheers, John.

Edited by member 05 Sep 2020 at 06:17  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 05 Sep 2020 at 07:46

Bollinge,

TRUS and transperineal template biopsies are being phased out.

TRUS because of the infection risk (which became a show stopper during peak COVID, forcing many hospitals to switch), and template biopsies because modern mpMRI is making it unnecessary to map prostate cancer using the Swiss Cheese method, and the replacement for TRUS can access the whole prostate, which TRUS can't. TRUS had become more accurate using fusion imaging (combining the mpMRI scan with the ultrasound image, for precise targeting).

The new method is called LATP (local anesthetic transperineal) which is done in an outpatient setting, just like TRUS, but not through the rectal wall. This is done using fusion imaging too in most cases. Going through the perineum means that the whole prostate can be sampled (with TRUS, the anterior couldn't be reached, and the apex was difficult to hit).

Edited by member 05 Sep 2020 at 07:49  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 05 Sep 2020 at 08:05
There's nothing unusual about developing prostate cancer in your 50s, Steve, if that's what it turns out to be. This community has lots of 50-somethings, me included. I was diagnosed with prostate cancer in May 2018 aged 55. I had radiotherapy and now it's (hopefully) sorted. Provided it's caught at an early stage it's an eminently treatable condition and assuredly not a death sentence.

Best wishes,

Chris
User
Posted 05 Sep 2020 at 08:47

Thanks David, remarkably similar situation for you and I.

Its great being on this forum, just to share hear of others experiences. Being active fit and healthy, it was a shock to find something especially, as my DRE on the past two occasions (over the past 18 mths) has been “normal”. It just shows you can never been fully certain until you have an MRI and biopsy

Edited by member 05 Sep 2020 at 08:48  | Reason: Wrong name

User
Posted 05 Sep 2020 at 08:49

Sorry, I meant to write Chris, not David!! Still trying to get used to the forum!!!

User
Posted 05 Sep 2020 at 08:52

Thanks John

Actually, by his own choice, my GP did a PSA test as prt of a well man check about 18 mths ago. At that time I didn’t even know what PSA was!! 
He told me I informed him I urinated frequently, but no flow problems etc. I replied that I did urinate a lot but I am also addicted to tea and coffee, drinking 9-10 mugs as day, so I was never worried about it 

User
Posted 05 Sep 2020 at 21:27

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Thanks David, remarkably similar situation for you and I.

Its great being on this forum, just to share hear of others experiences. Being active fit and healthy, it was a shock to find something especially, as my DRE on the past two occasions (over the past 18 mths) has been “normal”. It just shows you can never been fully certain until you have an MRI and biopsy

I'm 50 (until Monday) and I also cycle a lot. My GP's DRE was normal too... "smooth". But my PSA was 4.97, so GP referred me to Urology. mpMRI and TRUS biopsy showed very much not normal.

When my surgeon examined me he could feel something, but he had the advantage of knowing exactly where to feel from the scan results.

_____

Two cannibals named Ectomy and Prost, all alone on a Desert island.

Prost was the strongest, so Prost ate Ectomy.

User
Posted 06 Sep 2020 at 09:51

What was the outcome in your case?

User
Posted 06 Sep 2020 at 15:11

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

What was the outcome in your case?

It's all in my profile but I had a Gleason 7 (3 + 4) T2c. RARP in June. Very good recovery and now back to ramping up fitness and miles again. (Post-op PSA 0.01, so looking good so far)

_____

Two cannibals named Ectomy and Prost, all alone on a Desert island.

Prost was the strongest, so Prost ate Ectomy.