I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Blood in semen 9 months after biopsy

User
Posted 07 Sep 2020 at 16:47

Had blood (rusty) in semen for couple months following biopsy that seemed to go away but recently saw a little discoloration (Rusty Brown) in semen 9 months after Biopsy.  Should I be concerned?

User
Posted 12 Sep 2020 at 20:21

Thanks for comment and I think you’re right about the more “rigorous” orgasm making a difference...my urologist told me not to worry..it’s just “old blood” from my biopsy (8 months ago). I’m not as frequent sexually either (maybe once every 3-4 weeks) so...just go with flow and continue to monitor as I’m under Active Surveillance as treatment 

User
Posted 12 Sep 2020 at 22:28

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

I had a prostate biopsy about 3 years ago, and still to this day I see blood come out after my ejaculation. Not every time, and it just seems to happen after more rigorous sex. I was wondering if it’s because of scarring of the prostate, or something like that. It always makes me paranoid, thinking that it might be happening again. Anyone else experience something similar?

Gary, I think you need to ask for a referral back to urology - I assume that your biopsy was clear 3 years ago but you should not be seeing blood in your semen all this time later and it is perhaps time to have another biopsy in case there have been any changes? 

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 07 Sep 2020 at 18:58
Well, you should be concerned enough to ask your GP about it - unless you ejaculate very, very infrequently it is unlikely to be linked to your biopsy all these months later.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 07 Sep 2020 at 19:05

I haven’t ejaculated a lot over past 6 months...maybe 5-6 times and although I showed some first few times...I didn’t notice much lately although this most recent ejaculation had few weeks since last one and was noticeably more. Volume ... but I will send a note to my urologist anyway

User
Posted 08 Sep 2020 at 15:52

You probably should try to get blood out of your prostate at the time, but 9 months later, it's not going to be there. The body does break it down and reabsorb it. If there's a lot, it might not all get reabsorbed, and some breakdown products can remain. One of those is the iron from the red blood cells.

I had a TRUS biopsy initially. It took 3 weeks of daily use to wash the blood out of my semen (starting off looking like tomato ketchup).

After I'd started HT and was almost dry orgasms, I had a template biopsy. Getting the blood out after that was much more difficult because of not ejaculating anything much, although some blood was present. 3 months later, I had a full body MRI scan, and I was somewhat surprised to see a bright white blob showed up in my prostate - didn't think the cancer was as obvious as that. I had a session with the radiographer some weeks later and asked about that. He said no, it's not the cancer, it's something ferrous. In this case, it's the iron (or rather, rust) left from the blood that I didn't manage to get out of the prostate, and the body didn't manage to reabsorb.

You should ask your urologist or GP if no longer under the urologist, but you should also probably try and get your semen clear, and then see if any new blood appears. New blood is red for about 3 days after bleeding, and then starts going brown. I have seen men report black semen after a biopsy if they leave if some weeks before ejaculating.

Edited by member 08 Sep 2020 at 15:54  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 12 Sep 2020 at 19:57

I had a prostate biopsy about 3 years ago, and still to this day I see blood come out after my ejaculation. Not every time, and it just seems to happen after more rigorous sex. I was wondering if it’s because of scarring of the prostate, or something like that. It always makes me paranoid, thinking that it might be happening again. Anyone else experience something similar?

User
Posted 12 Sep 2020 at 20:21

Thanks for comment and I think you’re right about the more “rigorous” orgasm making a difference...my urologist told me not to worry..it’s just “old blood” from my biopsy (8 months ago). I’m not as frequent sexually either (maybe once every 3-4 weeks) so...just go with flow and continue to monitor as I’m under Active Surveillance as treatment 

User
Posted 12 Sep 2020 at 22:28

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Gary, I think you need to ask for a referral back to urology - I assume that your biopsy was clear 3 years ago but you should not be seeing blood in your semen all this time later and it is perhaps time to have another biopsy in case there have been any changes?