Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Enzalutamide to be added to the mix.

User
Posted 07 Sep 2020 at 20:08

Hi,

I have just had a review after bone and CT scans were redone as my PSA had passed the 4 threshold deemed by the Metformin trial.

I have updated my profile with the full story but as Enzalutamide is going to be added to the HT in the near future so would welcome any advice as to what to expect re possible side effects etc.  PSA now doubling around every three months.

Thanks

Dave

User
Posted 08 Sep 2020 at 00:22
Side effects are similar to other hormone therapies - some men are hit hard but we have had men here who report they had no additional side effects at all! Fingers crossed you fall into that group.

Sorry about the trial.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 08 Sep 2020 at 15:53
Hi Dave

I've now been on Enza and HT for 58 months from diagnosis with psa of 235. It's still working.

Please check my profile.

I hope it works for you.

Paul

User
Posted 08 Sep 2020 at 16:49
Thanks Paul,

I have read through your profile. Sorry that you’ve had to put up with so much as well as PCa. I have a few mental health issues but physically you wouldn’t know there was anything wrong with me most of the time. I have just splashed out on a new road bike and am looking forward to putting me and it through our paces on some of the nearby challenging hill climbs.

Cheers

Dave

User
Posted 08 Sep 2020 at 17:08

Reading this thread with interest and just read Davywls’s status. We have recently been wondering what next. Looks like Davywls case is similar. Straight onto HT and chemo, no offer of radiotherapy. Is Enza the next step if my oh psa rises or is more chemo ever an option? Also oh psa is 0.6 and stable. That is higher than Davywls’s - does that make a difference? 

Edited by member 08 Sep 2020 at 17:10  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 08 Sep 2020 at 17:46
0.6 is fine if it is stable - there is no acceptable or unacceptable PSA threshold for a man on HT; it will vary from man to man.

When his chemo fails, they will usually offer abiraterone or enzalutimide, often it is down to the individual doctor's preference but is sometimes affected by whether the man has other medical conditions. If he coped well with the chemo first time round, they may offer it again, either docetaxel again or cabazitaxel the next time. We had a member here who had blocks of chemo 6 times because he tolerated it so well but that is very rare.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 08 Sep 2020 at 18:20
Good news on the scans Davywls. Have fun on your road bike!
User
Posted 08 Sep 2020 at 20:19
Thanks, hope to have the bike out tomorrow. I have only ridden it a couple of miles so far just to check the brakes and gears setup so am looking forward to it.
User
Posted 08 Sep 2020 at 20:43

Enjoy your new bike. What did you get?

_____

Two cannibals named Ectomy and Prost, all alone on a Desert island.

Prost was the strongest, so Prost ate Ectomy.

User
Posted 08 Sep 2020 at 22:17
Thanks, it’s a Specialized Allez Sport 2021.
User
Posted 08 Sep 2020 at 22:23

Excellent. That'll be a lot of fun.

_____

Two cannibals named Ectomy and Prost, all alone on a Desert island.

Prost was the strongest, so Prost ate Ectomy.

User
Posted 18 Sep 2020 at 19:55
Just a quick update on my original post above.

I have just signed up for the prescreening procedure for the Talazoparib/Enzalutamide trial. Should find out in five weeks if I’m a suitable candidate. Enzalutamide will be started after that regardless.

During conversation with Prof. J I made a surprising discovery. I was under the impression that my original bone scan four years ago showed a hotspot on my right hip and another on my spine. It turns out the spinal one was picked up on the CT scan only. Although the lesion on my right hip is more noticeable now the one on my spine is no longer showing up on either scan!

Dave

User
Posted 31 Oct 2020 at 12:21
The results of my gene pre-screening are now back from the US. I don’t have the DNA mutation required to take part in the Talazoparib trial so it Enzalutamide only which I started a week ago - so far so good. In fact it turns out that none of the 500 genes screened have any mutation. Prof J tells me that there is probably no significance in that to me personally but he finds the results very interesting.

Dave

User
Posted 01 Feb 2021 at 22:18
Well what a bugger that was. There I was feeling great when a persistent ache in my right hip just steadily got worse. It turned out that the cancer we already knew was in there let some hooligans in to smash the place up. The result of that being I am currently laying in a hospital bed recovering from major hip reconstruction surgery!!