I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Decreasing Rbc

User
Posted 11 Sep 2020 at 12:50

Diagnosed at 46, gleason 3+4. Also resulting CKD. Active surveillance then focal HIFU 2017. Low post op PSA, steady rise to Feb 2019 but stable since.

Since April 2019 have blood in semen. Urology also shows blood in urine. Have also had (pink red) blood in stools. All small amounts.

Blood tests had shown slightly high wbc and low rbc (hgb normal).  My rbc had been dropping over time. Latest bloods show RBC, Hgb and Hct now all below normal levels.

With PSA stable should I be unworried about this?

User
Posted 11 Sep 2020 at 13:44

It sounds like you might be losing enough blood continuously to make you anemic, so this needs investigating, probably by urology, but maybe by colo-rectal too.

Do you ever pee bubbles or gas?

User
Posted 11 Sep 2020 at 13:55
mitan,i have had borderline rbc for the last 4yrs,but gp said just keep an eye on it,cheers.
User
Posted 11 Sep 2020 at 14:09

It seems surprising that you've had so many tests and no-one has offered an investigation or a reason why. 

Unless HIFU has such side effects, 18 months seems a very long time to have bleeding.   It might be nothing to do with the prostate and could be something relatively benign such as an ulcer in the intestines or similar although it could be a lot of things.

If it was me I'd ring the GP on Monday.

All the best, Peter

User
Posted 11 Sep 2020 at 16:53

Bubbles or gas??? Not that I've noticed.  How would you recognise that?

User
Posted 11 Sep 2020 at 17:12

Peter,

I went to GP about blood in Semen and he said its common and should go away within 6 months.  18 months later ...

I did have a urine test that found blood and was referred to urology.  They took a look inside my bladder but found no source. Nothing further.

Went to GP about blood in stools. He checked for fissures but none and said it should go away by itself.  Still get some bleeding sometimes.

I guess each individual thing is minor. But I am concerned that noone is actually considering the above alongside PCa, CKD and steady decline in bloods.

If I'm totally honest I dont have a lot of confidence in some of the doctors.  I went to one appointment where she googled the symptoms and printed off a web page to give to me!

User
Posted 11 Sep 2020 at 18:20

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Bubbles or gas??? Not that I've noticed.  How would you recognise that?

I think it would be obvious. It's a sign of a uretheral-rectal fissure (joining up), which can be a side effect of HIFU, and might match your other symptoms, but without gas in urine (or passing urine from back passage), it's not likely.