Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Dad’s recent diagnosis

User
Posted 13 Sep 2020 at 10:11

Dear All

We finally managed to get my dad to the doctor 2 weeks ago, we think he’s been ill for a while, but has lost about a stone in just weeks and as no appetite, has pain in his back, gets up several times in the night to pee and has got really low with his mood.

My dad is 88years was diagnosed on Tuesday. PSA 152 following a blood test at the GP’s.

Vit B 12 is also very low so he’s on a course of injections(6) he’s then going to 3 monthly injections( I think)

He is awaiting a bone scan to see if/ where the Cancer has spread to which I think should come next week (everything as been very quick)

The Oncologist has explained that the treatment  will probebly be Hormone injections and a tablet for him to take. I’m assuming we will get more information when the bone scan results come back? 

Has anyone had a similar expierience? Advice etc... thanks in advance

User
Posted 13 Sep 2020 at 14:31

Jane,

Sorry you find yourself here, and for your dad.

The hormone injections (usually 3 monthly, although the first one is sometimes just a month) will stop the prostate cancer cells growing. Depending on which drug they use, there may be a 3-4 week course of tablets at the beginning too, and the injections start roughly in the middle of this. The hormone therapy might also help with some symptoms, such as getting up so often to pee.

At 88, I suspect they will just try to manage the disease using hormone therapy. Radiotherapy might be used to improve his quality of life if there are any mets pressing on vital organs (such as the back pain if it's related, but it might well not be).

An 88 year old without symptoms would probably not be treated at all, because they would be unlikely to die from prostate cancer, but as his symptoms may be prostate cancer related, they might treat the symptoms.

Edited by member 13 Sep 2020 at 14:35  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 13 Sep 2020 at 15:56

Thank you very much Andy