Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Very worried now

User
Posted 16 Sep 2020 at 05:34

HI to all.

I am from Spain (please, sorry if my english is not very good).

I am 50. Five years ago I had a PSA rutine check which came out in 6,26 (free ratio 12.3%). I went to an urologist who prescribed a semen culture. As I was young and on holidays, I did this a month and a half later. I had a new PSA measured at the same time that went down to 2,55 (free psa ratio 10,59%). In the semen culture they detected an infection (Bacteria resistant to almost all antibotics but ampicilin) which was treated.

The following years the PSA fluctuated from 2,23 (2016), 2,44(2017), 2,99(2018), 4,27(last year, with a free psa ratio of 19,20%). Then I went to the urologist, who told me that surely it was due to a prostatis. He prescribed an ultrasound (prostate was 37 c.c.) and a semen culture who came back negative. He told me that we would wait a year. As I was still worried, I went to the lab and asked for a new psa (one month and a half after the one of 4,27) and it came back as 2,68. So I thought the urologist was right.

One year later, a new psa and came back with 4,93 and a free psa ratio of 15,42%. I repeated the test three weeks later, 4,63 and a free psa ratio of 14,69%. I thouught that this time would be like the two previous ones and waited for a month. New psa exam, 4,45 and free psa ratio of 17,75%. At that time, the urologist told me that probably is a prostatitis, but acourding to the procedures we have to check. He did a rectal examination that acording to him came back normal.

He ordered me antibiotics and anti-inflammatory  drugs, and after ten days of finishing, a new psa, and a coagulation study (for a biopsy). He told me that if psa is still high, I will have to do a MRI and a biopsy, depending on the results of the MRI.

I have symptoms from many months/years of going to many times to pee (without actually peeing too much). Sometimes I there is not urine (seems) and 15 minutes later I go to pee and the urine is there. I think this could be sympthoms of prostatitis, but as well to Cap. 

I am worried to hell, and before taking the drugs I will do a new psa myself, to check if it is like the other two times and it goes down (but little hope, to be sincere).

I started reading things, and the more I read, the more informed, but the more worried. Even I have a pain in my finger of the right hand (the bone) and I started to wonder if it could be a bone methastasis...

Tomorrow I start with the antibiotics and the antiinflamatory drugs.

Anyhow this is my whole story up to now. Sorry for being so long and boring :)...

User
Posted 23 Oct 2020 at 04:27

Lucky old you!

If I were you I would also concur with your usual urologist and avoid any biopsy at this stage, and wait for your next PSA result.

Best of luck.

Cheers, John.

Edited by member 23 Oct 2020 at 05:38  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 29 Apr 2021 at 23:02

That's the lowest result you've had for a while, so good news. Just keep taking the tests. 

Dave

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 16 Sep 2020 at 13:13
To be honest, even if the PSA goes down you have probably hit the point where MRI and biopsy are necessary. If both come back clear, you can carry on with the close monitoring.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 16 Sep 2020 at 18:00

THanks for answering. Yes, the urologist told me the same, that even if now it goes down, at the end we will have to check... because even if it goes down, it will rise again in the future.

I have read your story about your husband. Encouraging. Glad his psa is low.

User
Posted 17 Sep 2020 at 12:32

New results just before taking the antiinflamatory and the antibiotics... received today (sample took yesterday): 4,54. (two weeks after the one of 4,45). Definitely, something is going on... so I will take the drugs, then I'll wait 10 days after taking them, and then I'll check again.

User
Posted 18 Sep 2020 at 17:55

Don't think you're being boring.  It can be worrying.   Once you're on this treadmill it's hard to get off.  The tests are fairly inconclusive.   Every pain can be thought a symptom, even though it rarely is.

Your psa appears fairly stable at around 4.6 which isn't that high.   Your prostate at 37cc was larger than most.

I don't think there's a guarantee it will go up in the future.  You could get a lot higher than that and for it to be benign.   Even at psa 10 about 1 in 2 won't have it on average.   

There are risks of over treatment and finding traces of cancer when many men have traces that will never cause them a problem.

On the other hand if you do have a lesion and it becomes advanced you will be sorry you didn't have better tests.  So you could go on that route to put yourself on a more stable footing.

All the best, Peter

User
Posted 20 Sep 2020 at 10:50
Thank you. Yes, it seems stable. The pain in the finger has disapeared. I am taking now the ibuprofen and the antibiotics for ten days, and then after 13 days (the doctor said 10 days, but there are holidays around these dates) I will test psa again.
User
Posted 08 Oct 2020 at 10:31

Puff, I had last measurement on 17/09/20, PSA 4.55

Yesterday, just three weeks later, PSA 5.85

Is it normal a rise of more than 20% in three weeks?

Now, it seems that it is time for the mpRNM...

User
Posted 08 Oct 2020 at 12:15
If there is infection, the rate can jump up and down. If there is cancer, the PSA does not go down, only up. If there is some cancer and also infection, it can jump up and down but perhaps never goes down to normal level.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 08 Oct 2020 at 20:54

Thank you.

I have an appointment for a 3T mpMRI on 21st of October (they say that they will deliver the result in the same date). Crossing fingers, hoping that the result is without lesions...

Edited by member 08 Oct 2020 at 20:55  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 22 Oct 2020 at 21:29

Update: mpMRI 3T yesterday. It came back with a small area of old prostatitis (acording to the radiologist) and at the end of the report it says "No suspicious areas found". 

In fact, the pirad table in the template report was empty.

The urologist in the place where I did the mpMRI said that the rate of false negatives on the mpMRI can be up to 15%, and recomended a template biopsy for staying in the safe side. Nevertheless, my usual urologist after reading the mpMRI report, recomended to wait six months and check PSA again, which eventually, after thinking about it, is our choice. 

Edited by member 22 Oct 2020 at 21:32  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 23 Oct 2020 at 04:27

Lucky old you!

If I were you I would also concur with your usual urologist and avoid any biopsy at this stage, and wait for your next PSA result.

Best of luck.

Cheers, John.

Edited by member 23 Oct 2020 at 05:38  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 29 Apr 2021 at 22:47
Hi all.

Update: I just have had my psa result, and it is 3,67. The urologist told me to measure it again in six months time.

User
Posted 29 Apr 2021 at 23:02

That's the lowest result you've had for a while, so good news. Just keep taking the tests. 

Dave