Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Radium 223 and travel

User
Posted 18 Sep 2020 at 20:09

Hi all, 

A wee question, I start 6 cycles of radium 223 on the 30th Sept. Is it possible to travel abroad during treatment.

I won't be able to talk to my Oncologist until next week, so just asking as I've been asked to go abroad with friends for the new year but it will be in the middle of my treatment. Don't know if that would be possible. 

Have any of you guys had a similar scenario. 

Thanks

Sandy

User
Posted 26 Nov 2020 at 23:59
Wouldn't it be great if we could all just go to Tenerife right now - sun, sand, away from all the carp!

Best wishes to you Sanders

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 20 Sep 2020 at 14:19

Hi Sandy, no , he didn’t have any problems with diarrhoea. 

All the best

Sheila

User
Posted 26 Nov 2020 at 19:12

Hi all, 

Just a wee update, 3 cycles of radium 223 so far and no major issues. Bloods etc are all showing up well. Only thing is the psa is starting to increase, now 9.5 from 5.4 on second cycle. Been told to forget about psa now as the Radium is showing to be delivering a good dose to the pelvic area and doing its job. 

As far as holidays are concerned I have found an insurance company who will insure me at a cost of 65 quid for a week in the canaries. Told them everything, a great deal. Only stipulalation from oncologist is no travel until after 7 days of injection. 

Anyway, hope everyone can have some kind of comfort at xmas. 

Cheers

Sandy

User
Posted 26 Nov 2020 at 22:00

Sandy

Sounds like a bit of mixed fortunes there. Keep going mate. 

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 27 Nov 2020 at 10:14
Good luck Sandy
User
Posted 18 Dec 2020 at 21:51
Chest pain and back pain are known side effects?
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 19 Dec 2020 at 16:26

Hi Sandy,

Just bumping you up the list.Bummer that your holiday was cancelled.You might want to alter title of your listing to drop holiday reference and just leave as side effects to get a better response to current pain issues.

Regards

Norm

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 19 Sep 2020 at 00:25
I would be surprised if you could get travel insurance while in the midst of radium 223 treatment Sanders - and depending on where in the cycle you are when you go away, you will need to think about potential radiation exposure to others (e.g. using the toilet on the plane / ferry or sharing a bathroom with others you would need to be meticulous with the cleaning).

I think the onco is first person to talk to and then travel insurer is second.

User
Posted 19 Sep 2020 at 02:48

I remember a reality show at JFK Airport where a Kuwaiti woman arrived and set off a hyper-sensitive Geiger counter.

Fearing an Islamist ‘dirty bomb’, the TSA panicked and the terminal was evacuated and extensive tests carried out on the woman’s luggage and its contents.

It was only after a guard pointed a Geiger counter at the woman herself, and an Arabic interpreter arrived, that she was able to explain she had had a bone scan back in Kuwait the day before!

Cheers, John.

Edited by member 19 Sep 2020 at 19:11  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 19 Sep 2020 at 07:23
I was potentially offered this treatment for the near future and the kind people on here forwarded me some links on it which tbh dint make great reading due to side effects. It seems some only got to round 3 before packing it in , saying it was worse than Chemo. So maybe consider this if travelling. Many side effects are nausea vomiting and diarrhoea I think. But best wishes as ever
User
Posted 19 Sep 2020 at 10:11

All

Thanks for your replies, I've had a wee read up on the subject and as you say Lyn it doesn't look like I'll be travelling abroad until treatment completed. 

After posting the thread I've received a call from the doctor in charge to ask if I was willing to go ahead. She outlined the side effects in detail. She claims that it's not as bad as chemo, we will see. Diahorea seems to be the biggy but she'll supply meds to control that if need be. And would you believe it I forgot to ask her about travel. Dumb or what. 

Knowing my luck I would be glowing like the ready break kid going through the airport scanners, so embarrassing.

Thanks guys, onwards and upwards. 

Cheers

Sandy

User
Posted 19 Sep 2020 at 22:32

Hi Sandy, my OH has had his 3rd dose of Radium 223, had a bit of nausea after the first dose, and increased bone pain for 6  days as the mets expand and collapse, bringing relief.  Been fine with the last two doses. If you travel you need a letter, not sure if you would get any insurance!. You need a blood test 10 days before each treatment, to see if your bloods are ok, plus you are ment to self isolate two weeks prior to your dose..

Good luck

Sheila

User
Posted 20 Sep 2020 at 10:54

Hi Sheila, 

Thanks for the reply. Good to hear that your OH is coping well with the treatment. Did he not get any diahorea symptoms as they told me that was the most common side effect. 

Was alao told about the increase of pain before it gets better. Didn't mention self isolating though, maybe it's different rules for different parts of the country. 

As far as going abroad, looks like it will have to wait until later next year.

Take care. 

Sandy. 

User
Posted 20 Sep 2020 at 14:19

Hi Sandy, no , he didn’t have any problems with diarrhoea. 

All the best

Sheila

User
Posted 26 Nov 2020 at 19:12

Hi all, 

Just a wee update, 3 cycles of radium 223 so far and no major issues. Bloods etc are all showing up well. Only thing is the psa is starting to increase, now 9.5 from 5.4 on second cycle. Been told to forget about psa now as the Radium is showing to be delivering a good dose to the pelvic area and doing its job. 

As far as holidays are concerned I have found an insurance company who will insure me at a cost of 65 quid for a week in the canaries. Told them everything, a great deal. Only stipulalation from oncologist is no travel until after 7 days of injection. 

Anyway, hope everyone can have some kind of comfort at xmas. 

Cheers

Sandy

User
Posted 26 Nov 2020 at 22:00

Sandy

Sounds like a bit of mixed fortunes there. Keep going mate. 

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 26 Nov 2020 at 23:59
Wouldn't it be great if we could all just go to Tenerife right now - sun, sand, away from all the carp!

Best wishes to you Sanders

User
Posted 27 Nov 2020 at 09:45

Best wishes Sanders. Hope the treatment does a good job in the long term.

Ido4

User
Posted 27 Nov 2020 at 10:14
Good luck Sandy
User
Posted 18 Dec 2020 at 17:20

Hi all, 

Well due to the ongoing crap, all plans for a holiday have been scuppered. Not allowed to leave our tier area for non essential travel so insurance would be null and void as I would need to travel into another area to the airport. Scottish regulations different from England. 

Just a wee question to anyone out there, have any of you gone through radium 223 therapy. The reason I ask is I've suffered severe muscle pain in the past few weeks. GP sent me to hospital as she thought it was heart related, thankfully the old ticker is healthy. Junior doctor putting pain down to cancer. Spoke to radium nurse who said that this isn't a side effect of the treatment. So just wondering if anyone had any information on this.

Requested to meet up with my oncologist next Wednesday when I go for my 4th injection. 

Take care all.

Sandy

User
Posted 18 Dec 2020 at 21:51
Chest pain and back pain are known side effects?

User
Posted 19 Dec 2020 at 16:26

Hi Sandy,

Just bumping you up the list.Bummer that your holiday was cancelled.You might want to alter title of your listing to drop holiday reference and just leave as side effects to get a better response to current pain issues.

Regards

Norm