I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Abiraterone time to failure

User
Posted 21 Sep 2020 at 20:14

I was diagnosed stage 4 in May 2017 and have since been on Abiraterone and Prostap which has worked like a dream, PSA unrecordable for nearly 3 years. Does anyone know of any data around average time to failure of this treatment line and average overall survival times? Morbid I know but as each 3 monthly test comes and goes I know I’m getting nearer and nearer to the treatment stopping working and it’s getting tougher and tougher mentally. 

User
Posted 21 Sep 2020 at 20:14

I was diagnosed stage 4 in May 2017 and have since been on Abiraterone and Prostap which has worked like a dream, PSA unrecordable for nearly 3 years. Does anyone know of any data around average time to failure of this treatment line and average overall survival times? Morbid I know but as each 3 monthly test comes and goes I know I’m getting nearer and nearer to the treatment stopping working and it’s getting tougher and tougher mentally. 

User
Posted 22 Sep 2020 at 07:19
Anecdotal only because I can't find the evidence but in some people it lasts "forever". Sure Lyne will correct me if I am wrong.

Even if I am wrong key is to live like it will!

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 22 Sep 2020 at 07:19
Anecdotal only because I can't find the evidence but in some people it lasts "forever". Sure Lyne will correct me if I am wrong.

Even if I am wrong key is to live like it will!

User
Posted 22 Sep 2020 at 08:15

Tony,

An important difference for you is that you have been on Abiraterone almost from the outset, and not starting from the point of becoming castrate resistant on the first GnRH Agonist/Antagonist injections. I believe this is quite different from people who start Abiraterone later on. I haven't searched out the STAMPEDE trial data, but that closest matches your situation.

Wishing you the best.

User
Posted 25 Sep 2020 at 18:30
My understanding is that you could benefit for several years as you went straight on to abiraterone, when you start after prostap stops being as effective the normal expectation is two to three years, according to my oncologist.