I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

solifenacin tamsulosin at the same time

User
Posted 22 Sep 2020 at 11:12

hi,been on tolterodine for quite a while still getting urgency and up 4or 5 times a night,asked gp for a change,so he put me on 5mg of solifenacin to see if it is any better,i also take tamsulosin,ive read that it is better to take solifenacin and tamsulosin at the same time,any help with this please.cheers.

User
Posted 22 Sep 2020 at 19:49

Solifenacin and tamsulosin are both used to treat peeing multiple times during the night, but for almost opposite reasons, so it seems a bit strange to be on both.

Solifenacin (and tolterodine) are used to treat bladder spasms - these tend to cause you to need to go to the loo before your bladder fills up, so you are only using a part of your bladder capacity, hence needing to go more often.

Tamsulosin is used to treat slow flow, and slow flow can cause failure to empty the bladder because you stop peeing before you had time to empty at a slow flow rate. In this case, you are also only using part of your bladder, but it's the part between half full and completely full, rather than the part between empty and half full.

So the drugs Solifenacin (or tolterodine) and tamsulosin are used in almost opposite scenarios (with the same net symptom of peeing often), and it seems strange to me to be on both of them together.

These are 2 common causes of urinary frequency at night, but it sounds like no one has actually established which (of about 6 possible) causes of night time urinary frequency you have.

User
Posted 22 Sep 2020 at 20:49
This would not be the first time Radar has been in this situation, Andy - it seems that sometimes, he sees different doctors who don't always talk to each other or perhaps don't check his notes or check with him what he is or isn't actually taking. Also, Radar sometimes stops taking things that have been prescribed if he is worried about side effects.

Radar, check with the GP in case they thought that you had stopped taking the tamsulosin already?

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 23 Sep 2020 at 10:31
thanks,i have been on tamsulosin and tolterodine for quite a while,tamsulosin for flow and tolterodine for urgency,gp knows what im on,its the tolterodine im stopping and replacing it with solifenacin,so now i will be taking 5mg solifenacin with tamsulosin together,a while ago i was just on tamsulosin for flow,but a bit later i was given tolterodine because of urgency,andy you say its strange to be on both,i have read on a few places about people taking solifenacin and tamsulosin together,i will try and ask my gp or 1 of them what they think.cheers
User
Posted 24 Sep 2020 at 09:50
forgot to saythat some people are on vesomi that is solifenacin and tamsulosin together.
User
Posted 25 Sep 2020 at 17:30

Hi,

Just to say am on a different combined meds. treatment.As well as Tamsolosin which worked ok for about a month by its self until I had a day of being unable to pee , I have since then been also given  Finasteride 5mg .Apparently the latter works by over time shrinking the size of a large prostate gland  so it does not press on the tube that urine passes through on its way out of the body.

Regards

Norm

User
Posted 28 Sep 2020 at 11:17
hi,just been on solifenacin for 3 days generally up 4 or 5 times a night with urgency,anyway went to bed last night 10-45 as usual,i have been getting up between 1/1/2 to 2hrs,woke up expecting to between 12/30 and 1,i looked at the clock and it was 6am couldnt believe it,i have been getting up 4 or 5 times a night since 2014,and gp said ok to take solifenacin and tamsulosin at the same time,cheers
User
Posted 28 Sep 2020 at 23:55
That's great news Radar
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 29 Sep 2020 at 09:57

Great news Radar. Solifenacin works for me too.

Ido4

User
Posted 29 Sep 2020 at 09:59
thankyou.
User
Posted 29 Sep 2020 at 10:00

Great result.