I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

PSA rise after radiotherapy

User
Posted 24 Sep 2020 at 22:54

finished RT 18 months ago and hormone therapy in January 2020. Has Psa 84 and locally advanced in seminal vesicles at diagnosis. Gleason 7.

Psa trend worrying

March 0.31

June 0.87

July 0.6

Sept 0.94

See oncologist in a week. Doesn't look good!

User
Posted 25 Sep 2020 at 00:25

Hi Glenlia,
you still have a prostate which will produce small amounts of healthy PSA and now the HT is leaving your system, the testosterone levels will be starting to go back to normal - as long as your PSA stays under 2.0 + nadir ( in your case, that may be 2.31 .... did it ever go lower than 0.31?) your oncologist will be mighty happy and you can celebrate!

Edited by member 25 Sep 2020 at 00:27  | Reason: Not specified

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 25 Sep 2020 at 09:17
Hi Lyn

Thanks for the swift feedback. Yes 0.31 was the lowest it reached. That was at the end of the January 3month Triptorelin injections (March) ie 18 months of HT. Ive read about the 2 over nadir. Have you known of psa tests varying like mine and then settling at around 1 with good outcomes.

When I had the 0.87 reading the slightly old school oncologist suggested I might have to go back on hormones which seems like life prolonging rather than cure strategy/perspective.

I'm on very strict diet and supplement regime. Fit and active.

Regards

G

User
Posted 25 Sep 2020 at 16:59
It can settle at 2 and still have good outcomes - you might have a lot of healthy prostate cells regenerating.

Your onco sounds like fun. Are you confident that none of your supplements or dietary changes have an unintended side effect of raised PSA?

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 14 Sep 2021 at 18:11

PSA continues on a wobbly path. 

latest results 0.47

May - 0.35

Feb 0.5

Nov 2020 - 0.46

Sept 2020 - 0.94

July 2020 - 0.6

May 2020 -0.87

March 2020 - 0.31 (its nadir just after finishing hormone therapy)

Still on quite a strict diet and supplement regime. Does this thing ever settle down?

=======================================

User
Posted 14 Sep 2021 at 18:34

Wow, your psa has halved in the last year. As Lyn says if it stays below 2.31 it will be considered a success. Personally I'd forget the strict diet and supplements unless you enjoy them. Naturally resume them if psa starts going up, and then if it comes down again let us know what diet and supplements you are on.

My latest psa was 0.2 but I'd only been off HT for a few months, I'm not due another test until December I guess it will go up, but as long as it is below 2.1 I'll be happy. 

Good luck, let's hope the excellent results continue. 

Dave

User
Posted 15 Sep 2021 at 18:53

Thanks Dave

Always good to have positive messages.

The diet, supplements etc are aimed at making my system cancer unfriendly to hopefully resist metastases. Quite eminent Dr recommended by professional friend has set the regime which is not too challenging and has resulted in useful weight loss, drop in cholesterol as side benefits.

Not so much specifically trying to reduce PSA

User
Posted 15 Sep 2021 at 19:19
A good diet is of course beneficial, but it’s perhaps worth noting that there is no convincing evidence that any form of diet can reduce the spread of cancer.

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 15 Sep 2021 at 20:19

True but also no real way of scientifically analysing a multi faceted approach of diet, supplements and other lifestyle regimes. Some genuine people recon it has worked for them.

Edited by member 15 Sep 2021 at 20:20  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 26 Sep 2021 at 01:19

Hi Glenlia,

I'm intrigued, and would love to know what "dietary regime" you are using. I'm facing SRT PDQ and had a triple CABG last autumn. See my bio for more info.

If discussing such matters publicly is considered "unscientific" on here perhaps we might discuss "diets" in private?

Jim

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein
User
Posted 26 Sep 2021 at 09:02
Jim, there are loads of threads on here about diet. We have had members here who commit themselves entirely to the Jane Plant diet (you can buy her book on Amazon), others who keep it in mind but not slavishly, others who follow the Prostate Cancer Research cook book (which you can buy on Amazon). Lots of members have taken Pomi-T for years.

It isn't that diet can't be discussed on here; it is about balance. Jane Plant died, despite her diet. Almost all of the forum members who were most evangelical about it are dead. There is no convincing research to say that diet makes any difference once you have been diagnosed with prostate cancer - but I cut dairy and red meat out of John's life as soon as he was diagnosed just in case. Following a strict anti-cancer diet is not a good idea when you start RT - any supplements should be checked with the onco. But the general principles of Plant and PCR - reduce dairy and red meat, increase soya, alium, tomatoes, broccoli, etc - are good health advice anyway. Basically, a Mediterranean diet is a good thing, except during RT.

User
Posted 26 Sep 2021 at 10:40

Hi Lyn,

Thanks very much for the info. However as Glenlia put it, my interest is "Not so much specifically trying to reduce PSA" as in a "drop in cholesterol".

I was sent home from Derriford Hospital after my CABG op with a lifetime prescription of max statins. Eventually it was discovered that an unfortunate side effect thereof was significant degradation of my liver function. Hence I'm no longer taking taking any statins. I don't know what my current lipid levels are thanks to the current shortage of blood test vials, but several months ago they weren't as low as the men in white coats recommend.

I also sometimes muse, particularly at times such as this, whether the cocktail of meds I was on might also have caused a significant degradation in my own immune system's ability to control "microscopic biochemical recurrence" of my cancer.

Jim 

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein