I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search



Weird Symptoms

Posted 30 Sep 2020 at 15:20

Good Afternoon,

I just wanted to gather some advice as I’m struggling to accurately describe what is going on to the GP. 

I’ve had 9/10 pain in my rectum after opening my bowels infrequently for around 12 years (I’m 29). Initially I would estimate occurrence as every so often, whereas now perhaps once a month. Not exclusive to hard stools and the pain feels higher up in what I can only visualise as the prostate area. Pain comes on fairly suddenly and lasts around 20 minutes then very quickly fades away. 

Around a year ago, I began getting the same pain after ejaculation. Not every time, but again, 9/10 pain, lasts 20/30 minutes then fades to nothing. I can only describe the pain as my insides being pulled through my rectum. It may of course be referred pain. 

I have had very slight urinary symptoms for as long as I can remember including slight dribbling after urination, but nothing that has impacted my life.

I had a blood test and was prescribed one month of antibiotics for prostatitis. Blood test came back negative and the antibiotics haven’t changed my symptoms. DRE suggested prostate feels fine. 

I appreciate the purpose of this forum deals with some serious topics so just to note that I am not concerned but wondered if anyone has experienced any similar symptoms as they don’t quite seem to fit into prostatitis but similarly, I can’t grasp what else may be going on.


Thank you in advance  


Posted 30 Sep 2020 at 23:26
The prostate is low down, not higher up. Prostatitis is a b*gger to get rid of, maybe different antibiotics are needed? Presume the GP and hospital have ruled out diverticulitis, IBS and ulcerative colitis? Adhesions are another possibility. Orgasm (as opposed to ejaculation) causes muscle spasms which are perhaps triggering the same problem as when you use the muscles to empty your bowel?

One way or another this does not sound prostate related so you may be better on a forum for colon related issues?

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

Posted 03 Oct 2020 at 12:50

I think you need to ask your GP for a referral to colo-rectal, who will probably do a flexible sigmoidoscopy, looking to see if there's anything on your rectum/colon which might explain the symptoms. Your GP has had a go, but failed to resolve the issue, so it needs moving on to specialists. Symptoms like this should always be investigated. It may be at the end of the day the specialists say they can't find any cause or anything of concern, but that's for the specialist to decide, not your GP.

A flexible cystoscopy (done by urology) might also be called for, but it sounds like you should be starting with colo-rectal.

Forum Jump  
©2022 Prostate Cancer UK