Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

If HT does not work

User
Posted 30 Sep 2020 at 19:45

Hi All, 

I was diagnosed in February 20 with a PSA 114, after the normal scans they found a small amount in my Sturnum, resulting in me starting on Zoladex in March followed by 20 session of radiotherapy in April, at my last consultation in July I was informed my PSA was undetectable.

I now have this fear (along with everyone else) when I have my blood test ever 3 months I'm going to be told by my oncologist that my PSA has started to rise and the Zoladex injection is not doing it's job anymore.

What I would like advice on Is there other treatments that can be used if this one does not work?

User
Posted 30 Sep 2020 at 21:23
If you have advanced cancer, eventually HT will stop working: the cancer becomes resistant to it. This may be months away or it may be many years - everyone is different. When HT does stop working there are many other treatments that can be used and new treatments to extend life are constantly being found.

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 01 Oct 2020 at 10:44
Chris you should take a great deal of encouragement that your treatment, that has reduced your PSA from 114 to undetectable in 6 months, has been an overwhelming success.

You completed RT in April 2020, your PSA nadir should be 18 months after RT finishes so on this basis you're in the clear until October 2021 at least.

You shouldn't worry about your next 4 tests although admittedly its not easy not to.

User
Posted 01 Oct 2020 at 17:07

Thank you guys I appreciate your advice, I think it's just makes me worried every time I'm due a blood test and also I hear these stories if the secondary is in the bones.

User
Posted 01 Oct 2020 at 19:17

Hi Chris123

My husband was diagnosed just over a year ago with advanced prostate cancer with metastatic spread to lymph nodes. 

His PSA came down during chemo and was even lower after radiotherapy. And now 3 months later he's just had another test. 

Tomorrow we will get the result and I just wanted to say I don't think there's a way to avoid feeling concerned about it. I feel very nervous about his results, somehow we just have to live our lives with the uncomfortable uncertainty every 3 months.

I'm not being much help to you really but wanted to let you know you're not on your own with those feelings. 

Wishing you all the best. 

Mrs MAS