I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

PSA rising after 7 years post salvage RT

User
Posted 06 Oct 2020 at 20:05

Hi everyone.. Had a radical prostatectomy and then salvage RT in 2012 and 2013.  Since then my PSA has been very low (on and off) for 7 years.. However... Recently increased from 0.08 to 1 and now 1.1. Realise those scores are tiny compared with many of my brothers on here. But the key factor is the trend... Given radical prostatectomy and salvage RT, what are the treatment options I should be raising with the oncologist when I see her, and what are your opinions on relative merits or downsides? Thanks all and my best wishes for whatever struggles you face.. Martin

User
Posted 07 Oct 2020 at 03:44
Don’t think they will do much until you have more increases, but I guess the next step with be hormone therapy (chemical castration) with its attendant side-effects, although my friend has been on various HT tablets and injections for five years and he has had no side effects whatever!

Best of luck.

Cheers, John.

User
Posted 07 Oct 2020 at 10:35
I would suggest you need a PSMA scan to see what is going on.
Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 07 Oct 2020 at 03:44
Don’t think they will do much until you have more increases, but I guess the next step with be hormone therapy (chemical castration) with its attendant side-effects, although my friend has been on various HT tablets and injections for five years and he has had no side effects whatever!

Best of luck.

Cheers, John.

User
Posted 07 Oct 2020 at 10:35
I would suggest you need a PSMA scan to see what is going on.
User
Posted 07 Oct 2020 at 16:52
Hi just to be clear we’re the readings 1 and 1.1 or 0.1 and 0.11

My oncologist said they would initiate scans when the PSA reaches 1 to see if they could locate it for possible local treatment. They wouldn’t start HT until the PSA reaches around 10

Bri

User
Posted 31 Oct 2020 at 12:47

Hi

My PC history is similar, RP, RT then a slowly rising PSA

Ive had 3 PSMA  scans over the last 3 years with PSA's of 1.5, 2.1 and 2.9 but all negative

My oncologist is suggesting a 6 month HT, not sure which drug until we speak next week

I would certainly try and get a PSMA scan to see if that finds anything

Good luck to all