I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Adjuvant V Salvage

User
Posted 07 Oct 2020 at 10:18

More evidence that early salvage is as effective as adjuvant RT and allows some men to avoid RT.

http://prac.co/l/yy3r246t

User
Posted 07 Oct 2020 at 10:18

More evidence that early salvage is as effective as adjuvant RT and allows some men to avoid RT.

http://prac.co/l/yy3r246t

User
Posted 08 Oct 2020 at 15:56

I was lucky enough to avoid major issues with Salvage RT + 2 years HT (see my profile)

RP in November 2014

PSA <0 until 2017, rose to 0.2 by September 2017

Feb - April 2018 - Salvage RT, finished HT in October 2019

PSA <0.1 - March 2020
PSA <0.1 - October 2020

re: RT side effects, had proctitis and some IBS afterwards, settled down. No other issues really that I remember. Feel lucky that sex drive returned after HT, that was awful. I have man boobs but GP willing to refer for surgery if i want to pursue that

Edited by member 09 Oct 2020 at 16:16  | Reason: Not specified

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 07 Oct 2020 at 19:47

Thanks for sharing. I had salvage radiotherapy in 2017. Unfortunately I have radiation proctitis and occasional rectal bleeds which seem to be long term side effects for me. 
I was offered entry to the radicals trial on adjuvant versus salvage radiotherapy but declined. 

Ido4

User
Posted 07 Oct 2020 at 22:39
Err well you’re not avoiding RT at all obviously ???Adjuvant means directly after RP , and salvage means when psa rises to 0.2 or three successive risers. Either way you suffer life-changing RT , on top of RP , just a bit earlier or later , but with all the nastiness??
User
Posted 07 Oct 2020 at 23:03
No, the journalist didn't word it very well. The conclusion was that taking a watch & wait approach (only offering early salvage RT to men whose PSA starts to rise) is better than adjuvant RT because if you watch & wait, a significant % of men who would have been offered ART never have a rising PSA and never need SRT.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 07 Oct 2020 at 23:04
Plus, putting aside your personal decision around RT, you are aware that not all men have life changing, nasty side effects from RT.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 08 Oct 2020 at 10:23

Chris, the reason for avoiding adjuvant was the extra damage that can be done to tissues that are still healing from surgery. The theory is that allowing sufficient healing after surgery means less collateral radiation damage. Some people sail through salvage RT others like me seem to be left with long term effects.

Hope that explains the reasoning.

I wrote before I read your reply Lyn. Yes, as I said above some men sail through salvage RT others not. 

Edited by member 08 Oct 2020 at 13:28  | Reason: Not specified

Ido4

User
Posted 08 Oct 2020 at 15:56

I was lucky enough to avoid major issues with Salvage RT + 2 years HT (see my profile)

RP in November 2014

PSA <0 until 2017, rose to 0.2 by September 2017

Feb - April 2018 - Salvage RT, finished HT in October 2019

PSA <0.1 - March 2020
PSA <0.1 - October 2020

re: RT side effects, had proctitis and some IBS afterwards, settled down. No other issues really that I remember. Feel lucky that sex drive returned after HT, that was awful. I have man boobs but GP willing to refer for surgery if i want to pursue that

Edited by member 09 Oct 2020 at 16:16  | Reason: Not specified