Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Decapeptyl injection

User
Posted 08 Oct 2020 at 08:48

Hi All,

I had my normal Zoladex injection this morning and the nurse asked why I had not been changed to Decapeptyl injection.

Is this injection supposed to be better than Zoladex or is it an easier way to administer it.

Your opinions on this would be appreciated.

Chris.

User
Posted 08 Oct 2020 at 19:20

Decapeptyl is cheaper (although there's not a lot in it).

Decapeptyl is also available as a 24 week dose, which means fewer visits into healthcare establishments, which is a significant factor during COVID-19.

My hospital and GP prefer Zoladex, and it seems to have fewer injection site issues compared with Prostap and Decapeptyl, from what I hear from others on them.

I learned to do my own Zoladex injections, which solved the problem of visits into healthcare establishments, although I actually did it so I wasn't going to find it being done by someone who didn't know how to do it. That never happened to me, but I know several people where it has.

User
Posted 09 Oct 2020 at 18:35
Honestly dont know but interested as well. I've been on Decapeptyl since dx and it's just a jab in alternate buttocks every three months. No issues at all with it.

Good luck to everyone coping with the insidious big C

User
Posted 09 Oct 2020 at 22:07
Some people do better on Decapeptyl and others do better on Prostap or Zoladex. The important thing, I think, is not to let the nurse or GP change the prescription without checking with your oncologist.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 10 Oct 2020 at 14:56

Thank you for your input, I had a funny idea that it was to do with cost, I will be staying with Zoladex as up to this point my PSA levels have been undetectable and and hopefully it will still be when i have my next oncologist appointment later this month. 

User
Posted 19 Oct 2020 at 21:06

Well I have been forced by circumstance to change. Initially, and for nearly 3 years, I had Decapeptyl principally so that I could continue to travel fairly freely since it offered 6 monthly injections. I had no issues with it and hardly any discomfort as it was injected into my buttock. 

The COVID pandemic found me in the Caribbean where I have stayed since Christmas.  We have very low rates of infection and our borders have remained closed. Decapeptyl was not available on the tiny island where I have a home but Zoladex 10.8 was available on a nearby island. My oncology consultant in Southampton said that will work equally well but because I worry he suggested I have a testosterone test before the Decapeptyl ceased to be effective and again after 3 months of Zoladex. Both readings were incredibly low and hardly registered so that put my mind at rest or as at rest as it can be with this lousy condition! One thing: I have found the injection of the Zoladex pellet in my tummy far more painful that the painless injection of Decapeptyl into my butt.  Having said that, our local Russian trained surgeon, who is also a good friend, does the Zoladex for me and I think he gets a sadistic pleasure from hurting me whilst laughing and telling me I am a softee!