I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Possible MSCC

User
Posted 09 Oct 2020 at 22:44

After being assessed yesterday for possible MSCC - they thought maybe but probably not, MRI asap as an outpatient - this evening P has developed numbness right round his middle and thighs, and has been unsteady on his feet. As advised, we rang 999 and the ambulance has just taken him to the Royal Shrewsbury. Worrying, but the acute oncology nurse we saw said it's readily treatable - and probably better (for me anyway) than the uncertainty of wondering whether it was going to develop before he had the MRI or not. Scary, though, in that it presumably means there's been changes in the mets in his spine - in the MRI early in the year they said the cancer was through some of the vertebral bodies, but not compressing anything at that stage. So, I await developments.

User
Posted 10 Oct 2020 at 04:38
What’s MSCC?

Cheers, John.

User
Posted 10 Oct 2020 at 09:08

Artyfriend

Hope it gets sorted.

John

Metastatic spinal cord compression. Sometimes just called spinal cord compression.

Probably one of the biggest worries of guys with spreading  prostate cancer.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 10 Oct 2020 at 09:48

Sorry to hear this Artyfriend, such a worrying time for you both.  Hope all goes well with treatment and that your partner is home soon.

Thinking of you.

Ange x

User
Posted 10 Oct 2020 at 10:48
Sorry to see this Arty. As you say, if it is SCC it suggests that the HT and enza is not controlling the cancer so they may need to change the meds. You did well to trust your instincts and keep persisting when others thought that SCC was unlikely - the constipation was another symptom that could have been a red flag.

He is in the right place now and hopefully, you will get answers and a plan.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 10 Oct 2020 at 11:56

Sorry to read this. Thinking of you both.

Ido4

User
Posted 10 Oct 2020 at 12:24

Thanks for your good wishes. He rang me this morning, still in the assessment unit - he's on strict bed rest, has had bloods taken and MRI is planned asap. He didn't sound too bad, he's not in pain at least, but he does sound down, hardly surprisingly. I even got some sleep last night. I've been worried things were getting worse for some weeks now - he'd not had any pain to speak of till about 6 weeks ago, but the back pain has increased since then. He'd only been on cocodamol for a week before having to move on to slow release morphine on Thursday- it's been so quick. I'm really scared for the future....trying not to think about it for more than a few minutes at a time, and get on with ordinary things, to avoid climbing the walls. The GP did give me a few low-dose valium for if I get too desperate - I plan to have one tonight, in the hopes of more sleep. It would happen at the weekend, when the PCUK nurses - who I've found really helpful this past week - aren't reachable.