I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

PIP and prognosis

User
Posted 12 Oct 2020 at 13:44

Hi, diagnosed with advanced prostate cancer recently, PSA 233 and Gleason 9 (5+4) so asked Macmillan for help with benefits that might be available to support us.  

PIP ‘special rules’ came up but the CNS that I have been assigned to says that this would not apply.  Not sure whether to celebrate that I have misunderstood my diagnosis or to wonder about my understanding of ‘incurable’ and ‘symptom control’ is.

I noticed from other posts on here that it’s is less about being diagnosed with less that six months to live and more about that if things deteriorated rapidly that death within six months would not be thought unexpected.  Given that my Gleason score suggests aggressive cancer, I hope that I have longer than six months but it’s a bit late to claim if I’m dead.  A fair chance that in the current climate, being immunodeficient could lead to early death from sepsis.  It was sepsis that nearly saw me off when I had Hodgkins twenty years ago.

Anyway, wondering if anyone else has had this conundrum and would welcome learning what was the outcome.

Many thanks

User
Posted 12 Oct 2020 at 15:40
One of my hoppos claimed PIP, it took them 5 months to arrange his ATOS telephone interview and they still knocked him back so he's awaiting reconsideration.

The 6 months to live malarkey involves completion of a DS1500, these are supposed to be fast tracked by the DWP and ATOS.

User
Posted 12 Oct 2020 at 18:21
Hi, having advanced PCa is not enough to meet the criteria for PIP under the special rules. You would need to be at the stage where treatments have failed and the oncologist has made a decision only to offer pain relief (with continuation of the HT) - in other words, when you are on a palliative care pathway.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard