I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Prostate cancer spread to liver

User
Posted 19 Oct 2020 at 20:59

Hi have just found out my father in laws advanced prostate cancer has spread to his liver, his psa jumped from 17 to 71. He is due to see consultant tomorrow and chemo has been suggested. I was wondering what other treatments might be available and roughly how long he may have left.

User
Posted 20 Oct 2020 at 12:34

Daisy

Hope you get some answers from your Dad's consultant. Might help to give some more info on previous treatments. How long is a difficult question to answer and even the consultants and doctors frequently get it wrong. 

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 20 Oct 2020 at 16:40

Thanks Chris, I have just spoke to my mother in law and the news was not good they said they could try chemo or just leave nature to take its course. When I google spread to liver it suggests less than 6months, would be helpful to have a time scale so family can prepare. He was diagnosed almost 5years ago and had chemo initially then went on hormone injections but I think they stopped working a while ago so tried something else but that didnt seem to work for long either. He wants to try chemo again  but from what I have read it doesnt seem to work once it is in the liver but at least he still wants to fight it.

Daisy

User
Posted 20 Oct 2020 at 18:31

Sorry to read this Daisy, hope he’s comfortable.

User
Posted 20 Oct 2020 at 20:56

Thanks Lexi he seems fine currently.

User
Posted 21 Oct 2020 at 07:35

If he is feeling ok and wants the treatment then encourage him to have it.

User
Posted 21 Oct 2020 at 11:12

Hi francij1

Of course it must be his choice and we all support him I just worry with coronavirus he will be very vunerable and will not be able to see any family and it might have no benefit in the end. My mother In law thought the consultant only offered chemo to give him some hope, but didnt seem confident it would work.