Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Healing time

User
Posted 25 Oct 2020 at 15:45

Hi

had my prostatectomy on 1st June and still suffering with pain in my stomach area if I do anything involving bending or getting up and down. Feel completely knackered all the time (fatigue?)and ache in stomach area after bending at work or doing any gardening for more than 20 minutes. Are there others still feeling like this? I know I’m not the fittest and am overweight but wasn’t expecting to feel this in stomach after 5 months 

User
Posted 25 Oct 2020 at 21:48

Hi Mark, welcome sorry you're here. I can't help as I didn't have a prostectomy. The reason I'm posting, is to bump your post back to the top, as some members may have missed it.

Oh BTW its a good idea not to use your real name as your username try editing it to something different. 

Edited by member 25 Oct 2020 at 21:49  | Reason: Not specified

Dave

User
Posted 25 Oct 2020 at 22:26

Hi Mark,

It seems a long time for it to be sore but it possibly depends on how you treated it earlier on.  The cut in the middle of the stomach gave me more trouble than the other ones.

If you went back to work and strained it early on and then kept straining it then it will struggle to heal.  It goes right through so isn't a small cut.

Basically I'd recommend keeping within the area where it doesn't hurt and slowly building it up.

As for the fatigue I don't know why that should be unless it's that you body is trying to heal but is struggling because you're doing too much.

If you were retired I'd suggest taking a rest but if you need to go to work then all I can suggest is you try not to strain it.

Perhaps a visit to the GP or asking at the hospital will give you guidance. 

Also your name is public on here so you might want to use a nickname.

Regards Peter

User
Posted 25 Oct 2020 at 23:01

Mark

Did you have HT before surgery, just wondering if it was a lingering effect.

By two months post op I was back to a new normal, I had to stop and nap on long car journeys. 

As advised see your GP.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 25 Oct 2020 at 23:22
Possible causes include:-
- jangled / burnt / slashed nerve endings are still healing - the nerves take longer to heal than the tissues do
- adhesions (overgrowing scar tissue)
- hernia (men who had keyhole RP are particularly at risk of this, especially if they overdo things in the early weeks)

No harm in speaking to your GP first but at 5 months post-OP you should be due for a review with the surgeon so can also raise it with him / her.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 26 Oct 2020 at 09:03
Hi Mark,

I had RARP in June this year. I now have no pain so you should check with the surgeon during the next review.

I had one complication as my keyhole incisions had to be larger than usual (due to existing adhesions). This meant that some of the incisions were stitched into muscle. I certainly felt this at the 2 to 3 month stage when lifting weights but now all OK.

After 5 months I have "forgotten" the surgery. For me its the after effects of the HT that is still causing me problems.

Hope otherwise your are OK - continence - as this was my biggest fear.

Regards,
Richard