Show search

Notification

Error

PSA IS 0.053 BUT SPOTS IN SPINE

User
Posted 30 Oct 2020 at 05:59

Dear All, 

My question is 

My Father is diagnosed with prostate cancer in year 2018 with psa 648 stage m1b (cancer spread in whole spine with tumour ) . After treatment psa back to zero. But few month ago in august 2020 psa was 0.053 but my father was suffered from minor pain in back then we took an appointment from oncologist he suggest us to do bone scan after bone it showed that there is some small cancer spot in spine ... My query is my father psa is low how cancer come again with low psa ?

Regards,

Bose

User
Posted 30 Oct 2020 at 13:34
Hi Bose,

as you know, your dad's cancer is incurable so the cancer hasn't 'come again' - it has always been there. The bone scan has picked up some of the tumour cells that are still active but it sounds like the spine looks much better than it did in 2018. That is why his PSA is good & low.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 30 Oct 2020 at 14:23
In a very small number of men, cancer can still be active and even spreading with a very low PSA. Paradoxically, PSA in some cases can even fall, notwithstanding cancer being active and even spreading, although this is not necessarily the case with your father.
Barry
Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 30 Oct 2020 at 13:34
Hi Bose,

as you know, your dad's cancer is incurable so the cancer hasn't 'come again' - it has always been there. The bone scan has picked up some of the tumour cells that are still active but it sounds like the spine looks much better than it did in 2018. That is why his PSA is good & low.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 30 Oct 2020 at 14:23
In a very small number of men, cancer can still be active and even spreading with a very low PSA. Paradoxically, PSA in some cases can even fall, notwithstanding cancer being active and even spreading, although this is not necessarily the case with your father.
Barry
User
Posted 02 Nov 2020 at 15:28

Dear LynEyre,                                                                 

Thanks for your quick response.                                 

Regards,                                                                         

Bose                    

User
Posted 02 Nov 2020 at 15:30

Dear OldBarry,                                                               

Thanks for your quick response.                               

Regards,                                                                    Bose

User
Posted 03 Nov 2020 at 06:25
Dear All,

New Update

3 RD time radiation in 2 years.

current psa level 0.053 spot in pelvic area minor pain oncologist suggest for radiation .

1st radiation ( APRIL 2018 )

2 nd radiation (August 2020)

3 rd radiation (November 2020).

Regards,

Bose