Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Bone density scan

User
Posted 30 Oct 2020 at 10:18

Hi all,

My husband has completed 12 months of treatment since being diagnosed last autumn with advanced cancer ( Gleason 9, mets in lung and bones). He is responding well to treatment ( Abiraterone and HT) and generally lives life to the full, as if he doesn’t have cancer. The other day he received a letter from Oncology asking him to make an appointment for a bone density scan. He had a complete meltdown about this, saying he had had one last year and everything was fine and that he didn’t want to go into a hospital because of Covid. How should I encourage him to make the appointment?

User
Posted 30 Oct 2020 at 11:58

Starcrossed

I had two scans and an ECG  last week at hospital. The waiting rooms were empty, everyone is masked up, hand gel stations and wipes at all department doors, screens up at counters. I am back there next week, not overly concerned. Just be sensible mask up and keep social distancing and sanitize hands.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 30 Oct 2020 at 13:28

Do you think he has confused a bone density scan with the kind of bone scan that looks for mets?

They probably just want to make sure that he isn't developing osteoporosis because of the hormone treatment. It is just light x-rays, not like the CT scan with tracer he had before.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 30 Oct 2020 at 14:58

Thanks Chris. 

User
Posted 30 Oct 2020 at 15:07

Hi Lyn,

I think he knows it’s a bone density scan. I wonder if it’s a psychological thing, like he doesn’t want to hear any bad news. He tends to bury his head in the sand a bit and lives life for the moment ( no limits on food and drink etc and not interested in exercising). He has put on lots of weight since he started treatment but is not interested in restricting his diet. I feel I’m a nagger at times ... Is it dangerous for him to binge drink or continue to eat unhealthily?I feel I walk a thin line and I don’t want to turn into the health police.